We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 Days in Holland, NOT AMSTERDAM, CAn anyone help???

London, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
5 Days in Holland, NOT AMSTERDAM, CAn anyone help???

Hi there,

My Wife has a somewhat romantic view of Holland as a land of tulips, windmills, clogs and sunshine, I have heard weirdly that this is actually the case.

We are looking for advice on the sort of holiday that we can drive around stay at cheap but nice B+B's (Does Holland even have B+B's!?) do a bit of cycling (Think more wicker basket and baguette, than hurling down a mountain!) , eat great food, not see any dull monasteries or art galleries.

When we go on holiday we like to wander aimlessly, eat (cheese anyone?) , visit markets, and do nothing educational.

ANy help would be amazing, as we will probably have a car and Holland is tiny, basically any amazing markets/places to see would be awesome even if its a list of places/towns/markets etc.

Thank so much in advance

netherlands
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 Days in Holland, NOT AMSTERDAM, CAn anyone help???

When (time of year) do you intend to visit the Netherlands ??

London, United...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 Days in Holland, NOT AMSTERDAM, CAn anyone help???

Well, we are actually totally flexible , but around may june july august

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 Days in Holland, NOT AMSTERDAM, CAn anyone help???

Sure it's a great place for bicycling, and you will find B&B's as well, find them on the net beforehand.

But don't expect more sun than you are used to in London! Last summer was really bad, almost no sun at all.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
41,039 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 Days in Holland, NOT AMSTERDAM, CAn anyone help???

Tulip season is mid March until Mid May so if that is what you want to see you will need to come then.

There are Bike and Barge tours which seem to be popular. Friesland is nice as are the islands of the Waddenzee (Texel etc.)

I guess must see places outside of Amsterdam are Delft, Alkmaar for the cheese market, Utrecht and Maastricht. Groningen is also nice.Volendam and Marken are also popular as is Einkhiuzen.

You can visit the Zaanse Schans museum where you can go inside working windmills and also see cheese and clogs being made.

Also look at the Kinderdijk. and the Kroller Muller museum.

I think you will struggle to find a mountain to hurtle down :-)

If you have a car then you might want to consider a side trip to Brugge in Belgium.

Forgot to mention www.airbnb.com

Edited: 25 November 2011, 12:05
Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,720 posts
314 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 Days in Holland, NOT AMSTERDAM, CAn anyone help???

You might want to visit de Veluwe, it's an area in the Netherlands that is good for cycling. Forests, moors and small towns with very old city centres. Elburg is a nice small town, very picturesque. Maybe Apeldoorn.

You can check their tourist sites for more information on special market days. I know Elburg has them in the summer. Just google vvvv + any city name and you'll find their website.

In most towns you will be able to rent a bike or even an e-bike for the day or for longer.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,212 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 Days in Holland, NOT AMSTERDAM, CAn anyone help???

i dont think ive ever seen a dutchie riding around with a baguette in the basket...ive seen babies, groceries, beer, but no baguette

7. Re: 5 Days in Holland, NOT AMSTERDAM, CAn anyone help???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 June 2013, 01:42