We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do, where to stay?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
What to do, where to stay?

I will be leaving Brussels either late afternoon on Friday, July 13 or mid-morning on Saturday July 14, headed for the Netherlands. I have a flight home on Tuesday night, and need to be at Schipol at 7 p.m.

I want a day in Den Haag, primarily to see the new improved Madurodam, and a day in Amsterdam. I was planning to stay in Amsterdam (it's 3 or 4 nights and I don't relish an additional hotel switch) but it now occurs to me that I may be better off staying in Den Haag (or ????) and day-tripping to Amsterdam and save a bit on the hotel?

I am toying with a day trip to the Floriade but this will be the tail end of a 4-week trip and it seems like a long way to go to see flowers. . . . I welcome opinions, pro and con.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,804 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do, where to stay?

"I may be better off staying in Den Haag (or ????) and day-tripping to Amsterdam and save a bit on the hotel?"

Do the math. If you're only planning on Den Haag to see Madurodam and plan on spending the remainder of the trip in Amsterdam, is the additional train fare back & forth to Amsterdam worth the hotel savings?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do, where to stay?

There are only a few "must-sees" on my Amsterdam list, so I believe I could fit them all into one day. If I spend a day at Floriade, it probably doesn't matter much either.

I was just thinking that it might not matter so much, and for a day (or 2 half days) of sightseeing, Delft and Den Haag (other suggestion?) seem to be as interesting and/or charming as Amsterdam (been before several times).

Is there a website that I could download train schedules? Fares?

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,072 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do, where to stay?

Hi there,

www.ns.nl has both. Not downloadable (except as a smartphone app), only on-request all queries.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

PS Dordrecht is much nicer than we earlier knew, the historic centre equals Delft for us!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do, where to stay?

Thanks, Nashville and Erik&Sandya.

It looks like I will stay in Den Haag. I can get a very nice room at Hotel Mercure for €25/night less than the Ibis in Amsterdam. Looking at the train schedules, it seems a good location for me, I'll probably spend a half day in Delft and go explore Dordrecht as well. Thanks for the tip.

5. Re: What to do, where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 05:40