We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back Again!

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
Back Again!

Just like to report back on our latest trip to the Netherlands earlier this month.

Although Liverpool is closer we flew from Manchester this year,for one we prefer the airport & for another KLM were asking £100 less to fly from there than Easy Jet wanted from Liverpool,bear in mind that the price with KLM includes 23kg of hold luggage each,you are allocated seats & you get 'fed & watered' on board it was too good an offer to resisit.

We arrived at the airport at about 0430hrs for our 0600hrs flight,I had checked in on line the previous day but apart from knowing our seat numbers this was a waste of time as we still had to line up at check in with everyone else to drop our one case,KLM now fly from terminal 3 at Manchester,the last time we were in there it was BA & American Airlines & as such quite a quiet place,my how it has changed now housing Ryanair & Easyjet,it was bedlam!

After a smooth,uneventful flight we arrived at Schipol & took a train to Den Haag &,as a treat,a taxi to our eventual destination,the Kurhaus at Scheveningen.

We have stayed at many places in this area but for us the Kurhaus is our favourite,we had a seafront room with a balcony as on our last visit about 5 years ago but the rooms have been completely refurbished,very clean & bright,super comfy beds(although my Wife was disapointed that the electric beds have been replaced!) & with a great view over the promenaded & beach to the North Sea.We spent 2 weeks here for our summer holiday last time & would love to do so again but we would want to travel by ferry with our car & the hotel charges 30Euro a night for parking,an obscene amount IMO.

Our first job was to get supplies for the room followed by a bite to eat ,a few drinks & then relax,feeling pretty tired after the early start,that evening I volunteered to go & get someting to eat from nearby when something happened that I have never experienced before.

Remembering our last visit I headed for the Palace Shopping Centre & for the deli in the supermarket which had been so excellent last time,a young Oriental girl was behind the counter,I asked her what dishes she had & to my astonushment heard "you're English,we're closed" & she walked off out of sight!

I was just too shocked & tired to make a fuss so I headed for New York Pizza,the pizza was excellent.

After a good nights' sleep the next day we decided to stay local,it was a beautiful day so we went to explore the newly built promenade,it had only just been opened(a small part was still being worked on near the harbour) & looks very smart,what effect losing all those parking places will have on visitor numbers,I guess remains to be seen.

For lunch we ate at the Big Bell,superb as ever,after a bit more walking we returned to our room for a rest ready for the evening.

That evening,another old favourite,Wang Hai,the Chinese Buffet Restaurant on the promenade,we have been visiting this place for years,at one time we considered it to be the best Chinese that we had been to,it certainly has a great view,but since changing to a buffet we can't really say that now,still excellent & run by the wonderful Arthur who always makes us feel so welcome,he keeps threatening to retire,it will be sad day when he does!

Saturday saw us take the tram out to Delft,a long run but we always enjoy it,the flea market was on,after roaming around the pretty canals & streets for some time we headed for our usual bar for lunch only to find that it is now a restaurant so think again.We wandered around some more until we found a wine bar,in there we had excellent home made soup & apple pie,a few beers & were made to feel so welcome,a new favourite if only we could find it again,the receipt showed the place to be called Plan B,very appropriate!

That evening we headed for a bar that we first visited in 1984,the Old Jazz,a short bus ride away,we love this place,always made so welcome,as usual I had the Sate Bali which blew mind all those years ago & still does,leaving was hard as Rubens who we have known for years told us that he is leaving soon,very sad,we said our farewells to him & his lovely partner Leanne before jumping the bus back to Scheveningen for an ice cream & a walk for our last night.

The Saturday night turned out to be a very noisy one,crowds of people outside on the prom shouting & screaming virtually the entire night meant little sleep,not good preperation for the journey ahead.

Checking out we got a tram to what used to be Central Station,now a building site(!) to get the train back to Schipol where we had our first experience of automated check in & baggage drop off(we were sure we wouldn't see the case again!) before a drink & lunch at Murphys Irish Bar,our flight was delayed so we had to spend more time in there than planned(!),the return flight was a little bumpy but we arrived safe & sound back in Manchester & so did our case!

Another great trip to the Netherlands,we love it,can't wait for the next one!

Edited: 21 May 2012, 11:16
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,461 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back Again!

So you had a good time in Scheveningen! How about your pronunciation?

For parking next time, empty your car at the hotel, the park it for free somewhere outside the center.

Edited: 21 May 2012, 15:10
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,008 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Back Again!

"you're English,we're closed"

you should have said you were canadian, everyone loves canadians

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Back Again!

My family is Irish,Ihave wondered how she would have treated that!

Edited: 21 May 2012, 15:58
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,008 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Back Again!

oh man..she would have spit on your sandwich!!..;-)

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,180 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back Again!

My pronunciation is pretty good,certainly of the name Scheveningen,years of practice on the bus back from the Old Jazz!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,461 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back Again!

Chinese people are very direct!

Maybe she meant: "Sorry we are closed. Ooh you are English, what a surprise! ""

7. Re: Back Again!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 07:16