We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Western Schiphol with Visa debit card

Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Best Western Schiphol with Visa debit card

Hello all,

I'm looking at what will be my first trip away on my own, to Amsterdam in May for a few days, having an interest in aviation I'd be visiting the AMS panorrama terrace for one of the three days, so for this reason I've been looking at the Best Western Airport hotel in Hoofddrop, as it seems nice enough for a few days with a rather good price on Expedia.

Anyway, my question is seeing as I don't own a credit card, just a Visa debit card, what implications would there be when checking in with regards to incidental deposits and such like?

Thanks.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,948 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Western Schiphol with Visa debit card

If it's a VISA branded card, it's also a credit card.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,280 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Western Schiphol with Visa debit card

It should not be a problem with a debit card. They might take a small deposit from you but that depends on individual hotel policy. You should just call the hotel about this.

"If it's a VISA branded card, it's also a credit card."

Not really Chuck. Debit cards immediately take money from your account and are also backed by Visa.

Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
8,948 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Western Schiphol with Visa debit card

What I meant was that it functions at the point of sale like a credit card.

Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Western Schiphol with Visa debit card

Thanks for the replies guys, calling the hotel sounds like the best course of action, I'll give them a bell on Monday.

I just ask this as their website states a credit card must be presented upon arrival.

Edited: 16 February 2013, 23:20
Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Western Schiphol with Visa debit card

Just an update, the hotel doesn't seems to want to reply to my correspondence, so I'm looking at spending another few quid and using the CitizenM hotel at schiphol, I did get a reply from their general customer service saying they accept Visa, but no other useful detail, but if the hotel management just so happens to read this, you haven't set a very good impression, and in all likely hood lost a potential customer.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,802 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Western Schiphol with Visa debit card

First thing you need to do is check with your bank. Even though it has the VISA logo, it is still classed as a debit card and they oftentimes have a notoriously low daily limit. Be sure your daily limit is high enough to cover any charges.

Be sure to inform the bank you will be traveling Internationally and where you will be traveling. Some banks will decline any activity if it's not from an area where the card is normally used.

Warsaw
Level Contributor
179 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Western Schiphol with Visa debit card

Unless you really NEED to be AT the airport first thing in the morning or last thing in the evening, in my experience the Netherlands offer really great hotels at very attractive prices. You might want to check out the likes of Holiday Inn Express Sloterdijk or Ibis Leiden Centre.

The train ride from Schiphol to Amsterdam or Leiden takes 15-20 minutes tops and connections are frequent. The Amsterdam Zuid station is within 8 minutes train ride. There is also the "Zuidtangent" rapid bus connection to Haarlem, Amstelveen and Amsterdam Zuidoost (line 300), and Nieuw-Vennep and Amsterdam-Zuid (line 310), which would further broaden your possible choice of non-airport attractively-priced hotels.

Hotels generally like to have a credit card back the booking and your possible (ab)use of services and facilities. But if you choose a limited-service hotel like a Holiday Inn Express, and you prepay your room rate, they might be OK with you not presenting a card (or a deposit) at check-in.

The Dutch in general speak fluent English and especially so the hotel staff, do call the hotel or drop them an email (make sure you explain your debit vs credit card concern clearly) and their reply will probably tell you all about their concern for you. I guess the conclusions from the lack of reply from Best Western are appropriate, but I guess the reply from Citizen M does not give you the information you need. Either you were unclear in your request or they just don't care (and will possibly make loads of problems for you not holding a credit card).

Level Contributor
10 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Western Schiphol with Visa debit card

Sorry, should have made clearer in my last post, I have not contacted CitizenM and was referring to the best western when I said that I'd got a reply from their customer services department. The CitizenM hotel does accept Visa Debit, and allows you to pre-pay for the room.

Also thanks for the advice about staying in other areas, but as I'd stated in my first post, I have an interest in aviation, so would be spending the best part of a day at the Schiphol panorama terrace, and the second day in Amsterdam itself, having only two full days there I've concluded that it would be a lot easier and probably work out cheaper in the long run if I was to stay closer to the airport itself.

Now I'm just trying to work out what the best option is, this started as having a cheap few days away, when expedia had prices for the best western at £145, they've now gone up to £185, so I'm trying to work out the best option.

Edited: 20 February 2013, 11:00
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,215 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Western Schiphol with Visa debit card

You may-should be able to stay in a 4 star centrally located Amsterdam hotel ---double room for well under $100 USD if you do what I and many of us here would do.

And even if you do not go that way staying in the centre vs staying at the airport is a big deal.

For most of us a very big deal I would venture.

If you stay in the centre you will be very happy you did.

Level Contributor
1 post
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Western Schiphol with Visa debit card

We are just back from a trip in Holland and everywhere refused out VISA Debit card.. For some reason they only take MAESTRO debit cards. Some shops don't take credit cards either so we found ourselves having to abandon our shopping, visiting an ATM then going back with cash. The ATMs accept Visa Debit.