We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Den Haag to Sneek - Bus fares and time of journey?

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Den Haag to Sneek - Bus fares and time of journey?

Hi everyone.

I am planning to travel from Den Haag to Sneek on Sunday 5 May 2013. I'm not yet familiar with the Netherlands . This trip is a small leg in my two months worth of solo backpacking around parts of Europe.

Could anyone tell me how much it would cost to go from Den Haag to Sneek by bus? Is there a direct bus between these two places or

would I need to transfer somewhere such as Amsterdam? Is it advisable to book this sort of journey in advance in case no seats are available on the day? If so, could anyone advise of a website where bus bookings can be made?

I really appreciate any advice anyone has on my queries. I find this forum so helpful to my travel planning

Thanks in advance

TK

Mentioned in this post
Sneek
Sneek
Friesland Province, The Netherlands
Europe
Europe
World
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Likely To Sell Out
Keukenhof Gardens and Tulip Fields...
1,717 Reviews
from US$74.30*
Zaanse Schans Windmills, Volendam...
2,388 Reviews
from US$74.30*
Skip-the-Line Rijksmuseum Amsterdam...
12 Reviews
from US$22.00*
Special Offer
Zaans Schans Windmills, Tulips...
454 Reviews
from US$124.70*
US$148.60
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
10,716 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Den Haag to Sneek - Bus fares and time of journey?

9292.nl

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,588 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Den Haag to Sneek - Bus fares and time of journey?

You can't book busses. Use the journey planner above. You will have to use trains.

Den Haag to Leeuwarden and then change to Sneek. 3h17m each way and around €25 one way.

Mentioned in this post
Leeuwarden
Leeuwarden
Sneek
Sneek
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Den Haag to Sneek - Bus fares and time of journey?

Just to confirm what Ron has said.

There are no long distance buses in NL, certainly not in the way you would be used to National Express and its like in the UK. The country wide public transport system here is based on rail travel. With the very odd exception bus stations are right next to train ones. From these, buses serve the smaller towns in the area.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Den Haag to Sneek - Bus fares and time of journey?

Thank you very much for your help everyone, I really appreciate it :) I will certainly look at the journey planner, thanks for the link as I had not been aware of it. Looks like trains will be the way to go! Thanks again!

netherlands
Level Contributor
672 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Den Haag to Sneek - Bus fares and time of journey?

You also could travel by train from Den Haag to Heerenveen by train and further by bus to Sneek.

Mentioned in this post
Heerenveen
Heerenveen
Sneek
Sneek
London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Den Haag to Sneek - Bus fares and time of journey?

One further question which I am hoping someone might be able to help with. I have been viewing the ns.nl website regarding train travel and understand I can pre-purchase a single e-ticket for this journey without needing the OV-Chipkaart. Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks again for any advice, I am a bit of a pedantic travel planner ! :)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
42,588 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Den Haag to Sneek - Bus fares and time of journey?

E-tickets need a dutch bank account. Do you have one?

No probably not. Just go to the station and buy a paper ticket. You don't need an OV card..

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Den Haag to Sneek - Bus fares and time of journey?

Thanks Ronaldo. Unfortunately I do not have a Dutch bank account, however I do have an international bank account.. Do you know if that would suffice to purchase an e-ticket?

Thanks again

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,775 posts
327 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Den Haag to Sneek - Bus fares and time of journey?

e-tickets are really not necessary. You can just buy your ticket at the station when you go. There is no maximum nr of tickets sold for a train, there is always enough space.

10. Re: Den Haag to Sneek - Bus fares and time of journey?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 February 2014, 06:17