We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train from AMS to Utrecht. Then to Werkhoven.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Train from AMS to Utrecht. Then to Werkhoven.

I hope to visit my daughter who is part of the Stargates International team leading workshops in Werkhoven the 13 & 14 July. Because I work for an airline and fly standby (yes, iffy at best in July) I will not be able to plan ahead and I have not traveled to The Netherlands before. I'd like advice about purchasing a train ticket and (?) bus to get to Werkhoven and back. Are US credit cards accepted? Are tickets purchased from counter or machine? Timing? Schedule regularity? I have experienced difficulty in New Jersey navigating the train system and wonder what it will be like in the Netherlands.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train from AMS to Utrecht. Then to Werkhoven.

There is no need to buy tickets in advance, so you'll be fine there.

Use this website to plan your journey: http://9292.nl/en# It says the journey from Schiphol to Werkhoven is about 1,5 hour.

You can buy your train ticket by credit card at the airport, either by machine or at the counter. In the bus you pay the driver cash (no large notes).

Don't worry, it's easy to navigate and if you need help just ask anyone.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
31 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train from AMS to Utrecht. Then to Werkhoven.

Thank you, AnnaNLCH, for your response with information as well as the link (and reassurance). Although I am a seasoned traveler I try to plan ahead when in a country I haven't visited before. I appreciate your prompt reply!

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Train from AMS to Utrecht. Then to Werkhoven.

At the airport it would actually be better for you to go to the counter and buy your ticket with cash. There is a 0.50 cent surcharge but that is less than the credit card fee the machine will hit you with. Besides it will be easier for you and you'll be able to ask for specific advice.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,461 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train from AMS to Utrecht. Then to Werkhoven.

You might want to stay in Wijk bij Duurstede and travel to Werkhoven by rented bike. It's a very nice town and the area is nice.

5. Re: Train from AMS to Utrecht. Then to Werkhoven.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 June 2014, 05:18