We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip

Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
Day trip

I arrive in Holland on Friday Dec 6th to visit friends, we are unable to meet until the evening, I get to Schipol around 11am so have around 7 hours free (including travelling time) until I return to my friends place in Anersfoort.

I wondered where I can go for a short day trip, nice architecture for photos would be good, Christmas market/events also a plus, suggestions so far have been Haarlem and Enkhuizen. I just wondered if there were any other suggestions (we will be in Amsterdam on the Saturday so that's covered)

Thanks

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,210 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip

Enkhuizen (or Hoorn) will be a good choice. Perhaps you can combine it with Zaanse Schans (touristic site but nice) or other nearbij towns as Volendam, Edam, Broek in Waterland.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
276 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip

You might wanna consider Utrecht as it will take up less travel time than the places already mentioned.

Schiphol - Utrecht is 30 minutes, Utrecht - Amersfoort is 20 minutes whereas Schiphol - Enkhuizen is 70 minutes and Enkhuizen - Amersfoort is 100 minutes.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip

You could also choose (the city of) Utrecht because it's closer to Amersfoort. Utrecht is a student city and has canals, beautiful old houses, restaurants and cafes down by the canal wharves, a tall church tower (Dom) you can climb with a guide who tells you fun historical facts... It might look a bit similar to Amsterdam at first glance but is way less touristy and has quite a different vibe.

Or Naarden-Vesting fortress town, a small picturesque town. Just have a look at Google Images. http://bit.ly/1aUcI9x

www.9292.nl/en helps you plan public transport anywhere in the Netherlands, including maps for the bits you might need to walk.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
276 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip

If you're going to Utrecht; have lunch at Cafe Olivier near the train station. It's just been voted best cafe / pub of the Netherlands and the interior is fantastic. It's a former hidden or clandestine church from when Catholics were forbidden to worship in public. Various historical elements like the organ are still there. Also, they serve great food an lots of Belgium beers.

Cecile alreayd mentioned various activities, like Dom Square with its Dom Tower, Church and garden. A walk along the Oude and Nieuwe Gracht is highly recommened, just like a stroll around Paushuize area (the home to the only Dutch pope in history) around Kromme Nieuwegracht, Trans and Pausdam.

A guided (musical) tour through the Speelklok Museum is nice as well, if you're into that kind of things: http://www.museumspeelklok.nl/?Language=en

Edited: 27 November 2013, 15:59
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip

Thank you for your replies.

My friend used to live in Utrecht also so I've seen a lot there, wonderful place and Cafe Olivier is an amazing place, the first place I enjoyed a Kwak served in traditional glass and stand :)

Enkhuizen sounds like a good choice apart from the travel time. Is there much to see in Haarlem?

Dank u wel

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip

Haarlem is also very nice. Canals, nice squares, cafes, shops... and a few good museums. Teylers, and Dolhuys (psychiatry), and maybe more.

http://www.haarlemmarketing.co.uk/

Edited: 27 November 2013, 21:53
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip

Hi all

I think I've decided where to go. I think once I've landed I'll store my luggage at Schipol then onto Zaanse Schans (train to Koog-Zaandijk then walk), then if time train to Haarlem for a few hours then back to Schipol to pick up luggage then to Amersfoort to my friends house. My question is whether I can buy a day ticket for the train, think I found one online but costing over €40 maybe it would be cheaper paying for individual journeys?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip

The cost of the train trips can be found in www.9292.nl or www.ns.nl, I'll let you do the math :-)

9. Re: Day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2014, 06:18