We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Indoor Flower Shows at Keukenhof

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Indoor Flower Shows at Keukenhof

Hello, everyone. Let me begin by saying that I know that no one can predict when a flower (or thousands of them :-) ) will bloom, but hoping for a bit of local wisdom to help me out. I will be in the UK until 23 March, 2014, and then have about a week or so to travel. I've been to The Netherlands several times before, but never to Keukenhof Gardens. I know that it opens on 20 March, but feel my chances of seeing lots of things blooming outside are slim. However, according to their website, there are some indoor shows, including tulips running until 25 March or beyond. Has anyone ever been to see these indoor shows? Can you tell me a bit about what they are like? Wondering if it's worth flying from LHR to Amsterdam and going to the gardens on the 25th, last day of the tulip indoor show. If so, I will base my week's travel plans around being at Keukenhof for the day and then onwards from there.

I know it's very difficult to tell if something will be worth it to a complete stranger, but any input about what to expect at the gardens in that time frame would be very helpful to me in making my decision about where to travel in my free week.

Thanks in advance for any information or advice.

Haarlem, The...
Level Contributor
1,629 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Indoor Flower Shows at Keukenhof

I visited the indoor exhibitions and it was nice but nothing compared to the outdoor flowers when in bloom. I wouldn't base a week around it. But you might be a bigger flower fan than I am.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,352 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Indoor Flower Shows at Keukenhof

When the Keukenhof is open there is always something to see. And besides Keukenhof, Holland has many other attractions.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Indoor Flower Shows at Keukenhof

It depends a lot on the weather in January, February and March. Normally the indoor show is beautiful but last year during opening week there were just a couple tulips in bloom due to the winter weather. (they had to put the heating on to get the tulips to bloom) Now it is too early to tell if the indoor show will be in full bloom at the 25th of March.

Just like last year I will write a weekly flower update from mid march. Until that time we can only guess if the flowers are in bloom or not. Have a look on the flickr page to see the difference in blooming in the past years. http://www.flickr.com/photos/nring23/sets/

The tulip indoor show will run until the tulips are gone. (Normally it is not just one week. It can be something from 1 to 3 weeks, nature is very unpredictable ;-))

Nina

4. Re: Indoor Flower Shows at Keukenhof

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 January 2015, 05:20