We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holland Tour

Caserta, Italy
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Holland Tour

Hello.

I'm planning a 10 days tour in Holland next summer covering the following cities: Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Utrecht, Den Haag.

In particular: 4 days Amsterdam (+2 days arrival and departure), 2 days Den Haag, 1 day Rotterdam, 1 day Utrecht,

1. Does exist a rail pass so I can save money travelling by train from a city to another?

2. Does exist a public transport pass in each of the above cities?

3. Does exist a pass for the attraction such as museum, so I can avoid queue and wasting time? What about online booking?

I look forward to your reply. Thank you.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,821 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Holland Tour

1. No

2. Yes

3. Look at the Holland pass or buy a Museumkaart. Online booking depends on which museum

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Holland Tour

Did you just pick the 4 largest cities or is there some logic behind this choice?

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
153 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Holland Tour

Dear Aldo, for the public transport in Rotterdam you might consider the "Rotterdam welcome card":

…rotterdam.info/visitors/…

Besides public transport you also get a lot of discounts on a lot of attractions in the Rotterdam. Also be sure to check out the Rotterdam page of this website before you go to Rotterdam:

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g188632-Activiti…

Some suggestions: look for a restaurant in the Witte de With street or Westelijk Handelsgebouw which are great locations to have dinner, and visit the Wilhelminapier, the Veerhaven, take the Watertaxi (for example to the Rotterdam Steam Ship) and walk over the Erasmus brigde and the Rijnhavenbrug. Also check out this New York Times article about Rotterdam (one of the 2014 recommended places to go to):

nytimes.com/interactive/…

Edited: 27 January 2014, 21:21
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Holland Tour

You will need to buy loose tickets for transport between the cities unfortunately. What Jesper says on Rotterdam is probably also true for the other cities. Most cities have some sort of tourist package with museum cards en public transport cards. For Rotterdam, if you enter the main hall in central station there is a big tourist desk where you can get your welcome card.

Do you have any highlights or preferences that you would like to see or do in the Netherlands?

Caserta, Italy
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Holland Tour

I'am planning to visit the following attractions.

The numbers are the prices for the attraction with totals at the end. If I missed something please tell me.

I know that is not possible to visit some building so I just watch them from outside walking in a city tour.

AMSTERDAM:

Rijksmuseum 12,50

Van Gogh Museum 15

Anne Frank's House 9,50

New Church

Dam, Spui

Royal Palace 6,50-7,50

Bourse Palace

Gassan Diamonds

Molen van Sloten

Red Light District

Flower market

---------------

44,50 €

ROTTERDAM:

Colsingel:

Stadhuis

Holbein Huis

Bourse Palace

De Bijenkorf Department Store

Lijnbaan

Bay Area

Der Haag:

Noordeinde Palace

Huis ten Bosch palace

Binnenhof Palace

Mauritshuis museum 14,50

escher musuem (palace Lange Voorhout) 9

----------------------

23,50 €

UTRECHT:

Domplein and city centre:

Domkerk (cathedral)

Domtoren

Stadhuis (town hall)

St. Willibrord Church

de haar castle 12,50

---------------------------

12,50 €

Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
153 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Holland Tour

Lijbaan and Coolsingel are not that interesting according to me. Just pass them quickly. I would rather visit Veerhaven (you can have dinner in one of the restaurants of the Westelijk Handelsgebouw), Oude Haven (Old Harbour, with the Cubic Houses, one of which you can enter for quite a low price), Wilhelminapier (with Hotel New York, skyscrapers and the rooftop bar of Nhow in De Rotterdam) and Erasmus Bridge and the Rotterdam Steam Ship terrace (free entrance if you only visit the terrace and have a drink). Or is that what you mean with "Bay Area"? Taking a short trip by Watertaxi is also a very nice experience (for example from Veerhaven to Wilhelminapier, check the Rotterdam Things to Do page).

I surely recommend the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. If you really like visiting museums you might also consider visiting the Boijmans van Beuningen in Rotterdam.

Edited: 29 January 2014, 10:15
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Holland Tour

Hi Aldo,

Here's some information about combinationtickets in Den Haag. The majority of the museum you've mentioned don't participate in a combination, but the following link should give you some information and also tells you which musea that you didn't mentioned might be interesting as well!

denhaag.nl/en/residents/to/Hague-museums-int…

escherinhetpaleis.nl/visitor-information/…

Caserta, Italy
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Holland Tour

Thank you to everyone for your advice.

About Der Haar: I'm planning a 2 days tour since I think is not possible to visit the attractions I listed in only one day. Confirm that?

Edited: 29 January 2014, 10:26
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Holland Tour

From the attractions you've mentioned in Den Haag both Palaces can only be viewed from outside. A tour at the Binnenhof takes about 45 minutes, info here: …denhaag.nl/en/visitors/to/The-Binnenhof.htm

Het Mauritshuis is closed for renovation at the moment and is scheduled to re-open on June 27 2014. I personally think that you could see these attractions in just one day, but maybe I am wrong ;-)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Holland Tour

Just a tip, in order to prevent mistaking, the city with the musea is called Den Haag and the Castle near Utrecht is called De Haar....