We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rotterdam or amsterdam?which 1 is more fun & has alot to do?

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
79 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
rotterdam or amsterdam?which 1 is more fun & has alot to do?

Hi all.

I am going to travel to paris in end of april and arriving will be in 6 am thats why I am thinking of taking a train to rotterdam or amsterdam ? then back to paris

Actually we are going for honeymoon . we arent looking for romantic place but we are looking for the one which has alot to do in..

I hope you can help me

Thanks

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,308 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: rotterdam or amsterdam?which 1 is more fun & has alot to do?

they are equal in every category...so flip a coin..

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rotterdam or amsterdam?which 1 is more fun & has alot to do?

As this is a hot topic at the moment I do have to be careful in my reply, but I would definitely say Amsterdam. Unless you are into modern architecture then I would say Rotterdam. Amsterdam has so much to offer, the beautiful canals, parks, world famous musea etc. Take a look at the Top Question in this forum about what to do: tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188590-s409/Amsterda… it might also help to search for Amsterdam and Rotterdam on google and click on images, in order to get an idea on how the cities look like.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
South Holland Province, The Netherlands
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rotterdam or amsterdam?which 1 is more fun & has alot to do?

Most people here from Rotterdam would say Rotterdam is better because it has a nice canal (somewhere hidden) and also some historic buildings (even more hidden)

To be honest, when you say the place must be NOT ROMANTIC, I think Rotterdam is an excellent choice.

Edited: 03 February 2014, 08:29
Mentioned in this post
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
22,272 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rotterdam or amsterdam?which 1 is more fun & has alot to do?

Does beg the question though - why fly into Paris when you want to be in the Netherlands?

Amsterdam Schipol Airport is between the two cities and has regular trains to both.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rotterdam or amsterdam?which 1 is more fun & has alot to do?

Amsterdam, as a European tourist hotspot, has more to do easily of course. So it depends on what you like to see. In Amsterdam you may be overwhelmed by mass tourism, especially when you visit the main attractions like Anne Frankhuis, Rijskmuseum or the red light district. Rotterdam is more easy going, less stressful. Main attractions in Rotterdam are the big port, the special and mainly modern architecture and a good number nice museums of which the Boijmans van Beuningen museum is the most famous one.

So if you look for a tourist hotspot: Amsterdam is the best place to go. If you look for an upcoming place to discover, but more then enough to do for a day, you better go to Rotterdam.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
153 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: rotterdam or amsterdam?which 1 is more fun & has alot to do?

I Agree with wirewiper about the airport.

Btw Nana_G, how many time do you have to spend in the Netherlands? If you have multiple days you could visit both.

As a Rotterdam-inhabitant I have to say that Amsterdam of course has definitely much more to do, because it is a major touristic hotspot. So it has more museums etc. So if you only have a short amount of time to spend in the Netherlands and you want to go to the city with the most to do you should definitely go to Amsterdam. I agree with TimDB: it also depends on what you exactly would like to see and experience.

However if you have multiple days you can combine both and spend some days in Amsterdam and maybe one or two days in Rotterdam, which, even though way less touristic, also has enough interesting sites to offer. You can then both experience a traditional Dutch historic city like Amsterdam as well as the very contrasting city of Rotterdam with a combination of some old spots (like Veerhaven) and modern architecture (Erasmus Bridge, Wilhelminapier etc.) with a dynamic cuisine. Rough Guides and the New York Times even labeled Rotterdam as a "2014 place to go":

nytimes.com/interactive/…

Edited: 03 February 2014, 10:42
Mentioned in this post
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Erasmus Bridge
Erasmus Bridge
2,912 Reviews
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Wilhelminapier
Wilhelminapier
131 Reviews
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
10 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rotterdam or amsterdam?which 1 is more fun & has alot to do?

First of all: Both cities have a lot to do. Amsterdam has more attractions in general as it is the capital city, but Rotterdam is a bit underappreciated in terms of attractions. While Amsterdam is known for it's art museums, Rotterdam is also home to a some very good museums, like Boijmans van Beuningen, Kunsthal, National Institute of Architecture and the Photography Museum.

In terms of going out and shopping, Amsterdam takes the prize, but this is not to say there is nothing to do in Rotterdam. It is an excellent shopping city and has a good culinary reputation.

If you have enough time, I'd recommend you to see both cities. A lot of people visit the Netherlands for the 17th century architecture, and that is ofcourse understandable, but it can give you the impression that there is no innovation going on here. Rotterdam is clearly different from other Dutch cities and because of that, sometimes misunderstood.

It has a rich history however, being one of the world's largest port cities, being heavily marked by WWII and subsequently reinventing itself as one of the most modern cities on the European continent.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
Kunsthal Rotterdam
Kunsthal Rotterdam
470 Reviews
Rotterdam, The...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: rotterdam or amsterdam?which 1 is more fun & has alot to do?

What do you mean with 'a lot to do'? Museums? Shops? Bars? Restaurants? Architecture?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
45 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rotterdam or amsterdam?which 1 is more fun & has alot to do?

Amsterdam gives the visitor a lot more choices to do than Rotterdam, no point in sugarcoating that. The question is what you both want to do and experience for your honeymoon. They are both very different cities in terms of architecture and mentality. I'm sure you can find enough info on both cities on your own to make the decision and wish you both a pleasant time.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
Rotterdam
Rotterdam
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,671 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rotterdam or amsterdam?which 1 is more fun & has alot to do?

So this is not a joke question? :-)