We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paying for hotel and purchase

Highland Mills, New...
Level Contributor
129 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
paying for hotel and purchase

i recently read that it is suggested to pay for hotel in local currency rather than for example USD because a currency exchange surcharge might be added by the establishment, which is different than a charge that your credit card might or might not charge. thoughts?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: paying for hotel and purchase

dont think you can pay in U.S. dollar,, must be in Euro or Credit card,,,

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,287 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paying for hotel and purchase

Are you serious? In Europe we use the Euro (mostly) not the mighty USD. Pay in Euros. Seriously!!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,836 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: paying for hotel and purchase

Pay with a credit card-------at least for the hotel.

Edited: 19 March 2014, 21:21
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,419 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: paying for hotel and purchase

The post you're referring to on the London board a couple of days ago, the person was talking about when you use your credit card you are sometimes given the option to pay in USD or local currency. Choosing local currency means your won't get double dinged on the conversion and fees.

Highland Mills, New...
Level Contributor
129 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: paying for hotel and purchase

ronaldoc- i am obviously aware that the USD is not the currency in the netherlands, and did not intend to offend you with my question, as evidenced by your response. the option might exist to be offered this choice when paying by credit card.

Edited: 19 March 2014, 23:06
Highland Mills, New...
Level Contributor
129 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: paying for hotel and purchase

pala32- thank you- that double ding is what i am trying to avoid. i wondered if potentially i would be offered a choice in the netherlands as well as UK as i am traveling to both this spring.

Edited: 19 March 2014, 23:09
Port Townsend...
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park, Port Townsend
Level Contributor
9,419 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: paying for hotel and purchase

If you're not offered a choice, you will be charged in Euros which is preferred anyway.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,287 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: paying for hotel and purchase

OK but you would be surprised at the amount of people who think that the USD is a worldwide currency and think that they can pay in dollars everywhere. Good to see you are not one of them.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,836 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: paying for hotel and purchase

Ron, for many Americans their first international trip is to Canada or Mexico.

Those were my first two for sure.

And when you cross those borders you can still use your American dollars to pay for stuff.

In Mexico they were always over joyed to see American dollars.

10. Re: paying for hotel and purchase

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2015, 05:19