We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advance reservations needed in August?

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,998 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Advance reservations needed in August?

I have about 5 days to drive from Normandy (France) to Bruges (Belgium) in late August, and of course I'd like to take in some of the Dutch countryside. How easy is it to "wing it" and get accommodations for each night outside the big cities? Are the coastal regions harder to do this in than inland?

I have done this in spring and fall in other countries without problems, but was wondering if it's feasible at that time of year.

I would have a "target" area for each overnight, with a list of preferred accommodations, and would probably call ahead by the early afternoon to check availability and book. I wouldn't count on just turning up and wandering around aimlessly ;)

Thoughts or comments? (Thanks!)

Edited: 05 April 2014, 02:43
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advance reservations needed in August?

School holidays in the Netherlands last till september and the school holidays in parts of Germany till the second week of september, Germans like our beaches. I think that the availability near the coast might be limited ( Domburg, Renesse, Zandvoort, Schoorl etc ) but that you will find a place with availability just for the night. You can always check booking.com for example the week prior to your arrival and then check availability, based on that info you can decide to book for example a room that you can cancel on the day of arrival to make sure you have a place to stay, and then decide on the day itself if you stay there or somewhere else.

San Francisco, Ca
Level Contributor
13,998 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advance reservations needed in August?

Thanks, that's what I was afraid of. I'll adjust plans accordingly!

3. Re: Advance reservations needed in August?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 April 2015, 06:16