We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tulips

Sicilia
Level Contributor
96 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
tulips

I'll be in the Netherlands from May 16 for 6 days. I would like to see the fields of tulips and I understand that the season will be towards the end of that period. A few days before arriving I will verify on the post 'Flower Update 2014' that you have created, but I was wondering if it is worth visiting the Keukenhof or if it is better to go to Vogelenzang and spending less money (we are 2 adults and 2 children).

Thank you

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tulips

I am sorry to tell you that the tulip fields are already over. We have an early spring and all fields are headed by now. For Keukenhof it will be the very end of season. Have a look at the photos in the 2014 thread to see if Keukenhof is still worthwhile to go (the park will be beautiful but there might be just a couple of tulips left).

Not sure why you want to visit Vogelenzang.

Nina

Sicilia
Level Contributor
96 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tulips

Hi Nina,

what a bad news. I had considered not to see the tulips in their best time, but I thought, however, to find some field, not just a couple of tulips. :(

I asked about Vogelenzang because I red about Holland Tulip Park Vogelenzang. I red it is cheaper than Keukenhof, so I was evaluating to go there if I won't find tulips in Keukenhof.

Thank you for your help.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tulips

If you can't find tulips in Keukenhof or around Lisse, you won't find tulips in Vogelenzang (10 km from Keukenhof) The distance is too short to have a difference in blooming.

Living here for the past 20 years in this area I have never heard of the tulip show garden in Vogelenzang and on internet I can only find old postcards from it (website isn't working) If you have an address/phonenumber/ website for me of this park, I will check it out this weekend.

Nina

Sicilia
Level Contributor
96 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tulips

I found about Vogelenzang on this site: http://www.amsterdam.info/it/olanda/tulipani/

Maybe it is an old information because I noticed that the price for Keukenhof it is lower than the actual price, ...I do not know. Sorry, I wasn't able to find and english version of this page for you.

I found also a link to a website that doesn't work. Do you think the park doesn't exist anymore?

I wasn't able to find an address.

Anyway, I think that if I'll go to visit any park I'll choose Keukenhof, so I do not need this information.

Thank you

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tulips

@minni3011 thank you for the link. I've found the address so I will pay a visit this weekend. I am very curious what it is and if it is a alternative / additional place to visit tulips. Will report back later this weekend :-) Have a wonderful holiday.

Nina

Sicilia
Level Contributor
96 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tulips

Thank you.

I'm very curious to know about it. I'll wait for your review.

Monroe, Louisiana
Level Contributor
59 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tulips

I am very sorry that you will be arriving so late in the spring season. But, as Nina has told you correctly, the fields have already been cut and there are no tulips left. Since you will be arriving so late in the season at the Keukenhof, I would be surprised if you would find any there at this point. However, there is a beautiful lily show going on in one of the paviliions. This year the spring season was quite early (last year was just the opposite) and things peaked around mid-April. We were fortunate to visit during peak tulip season. I am also aware of the tulip park that you speak of and I can tell you that it is no longer in business. I visited the attraction in 2006 and was not impressed at all. The location was also very inconvenient. Come back next year!!!!

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tulips

This morning I went to look for the Frans Roozen Tulip Show Garden and as expected it isn't there any more.

The buildings are offered to let and a garden center (Bos) opened up a shop. The buildings looks like they have been empty for years. No need to travel to anymore :-)

Went to Keukenhof afterwards. The indoor exhibitions are still beautiful but outside 80% of the flowers is gone. If you are traveling from May 16th I expect hardly any flowers outside.

Nina

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,161 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: tulips

Can't be very nice in this heavy rain anyway.

The Netherlands
Destination Expert
for Lisse
Level Contributor
1,110 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tulips

@ronaldo - it wasn't nice - no tulips and pouring rain makes a terrible combination. All the classic music performances today are moved to indoors. makes it very busy indoors :-)