We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Incomplete Trip!

Long Beach, New York
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Incomplete Trip!

Hey, Fellow Travelers

I had recently booked a ticket from NY to Cairo in the first week of June, however Egypt is going through an election and I didn't properly plan that trip out, however my initial flight was NY to Amsterdam (Layover 19 hours).

I had called Price line to see if I could cancel, however long story short, it can't be done within adequate time. So I really want to keep my flight in Amsterdam, because it would cost way too much to book a flight to Amsterdam this late.

So I decided to keep my initial flight to Amsterdam and then pull a no show for the connecting flight to Cairo. I then was able to book a one way return flight from Barcelona, Spain to NY, USA.

I basically change my trip to a backpacking Europe.

My questions:

I will have one carry-on (book-bag).

I will have my duffel travel, (body wash, toothpaste, etc)

1) If I check my luggage in would my luggage come out on the carrousel in Amsterdam airport? or Would the airport move my luggage to a connecting area?

2) should I call Price line to cancel the rest of my trip once im in Amsterdam?

Flying Delta, my initial ticket has a 19 hr layover in Amsterdam.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,054 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Incomplete Trip!

Hi there,

1] Speficicly at check-in in USA ask for labeling the hold luggage to AMS. Generally with long layovers they offer you the choice between final destination and stopover place.

2] Might be fair but not essential as I presume the one-way is with a different airline/ticket.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,297 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Incomplete Trip!

Anything over 12 hours and you can pick up your bags in Amsterdam AFAIK. On a shorter connection not but just do as Erik said. It should not be an issue.

No point in wasting your time calling Priceline as if you are a no show for your Cairo flight the airline will cancel the rest of your trip automatically.

I would also keep an eye on the situation in Egypt. If trouble flares then the US State department may issue a travel advisory in which case the airline should offer to change your flight for free. Not that would really matter to you as you have already made alternate arrangements.

3. Re: Incomplete Trip!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 06:17