We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The red light district in Amsterdam

Windham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
The red light district in Amsterdam

Appropriate to bring our 15 year old to stroll through the RLD? Anyone that had been, what do you think?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,211 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The red light district in Amsterdam

Your kid your decision.

I certainly brought mine. At that age and younger. It's a historical and an interesting and popular tourist venue. Maybe a guided tour where everyone could learn something?

As far as what everyone will see? Less than what you would see at the beach for sure.

Edited: 26 May 2014, 02:42
Winter Haven...
Level Contributor
9,102 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The red light district in Amsterdam

Agree with MrJohnMD. My son was 17.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The red light district in Amsterdam

My friends and I and two kids of about 7 and 9 did a children's walking tour described on paper through central Amsterdam. Obviously we had seen it coming in the tour that it was going right through the Red Light District which also contains some historical highlights such as a hidden church in an attic and the Oude Kerk (not so hidden) church and the city's oldest bar/guesthouse.

My friend was ready to explain to her kids in all honesty, in case they would ask questions. In the daytime not so many windows are occupied and it took a while before we came across some that were, accidentally. The kids asked why there was a 'lady in bikini' in the window and my friend explained. Of course this made for some discussion and thinking on their part.

It's up to you whether you want to teach your kid this side of the world yet... and whether you add the details about desperation, exploitation and human trafficking or not. We didn't go into detail on that with the 7-9 year olds but of course they kept asking why anyone would want a job like that, and made up their own mind they must be in desperate situations. I don't know how mature your 15 year old is and how much of the world news he/she watches, surely an almost-adult is ready to know something more about the realities of life.

Windham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The red light district in Amsterdam

Thanks to everyone that responded. Does one see any nudity as you pass through ?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The red light district in Amsterdam

Nipples will usually be covered, if that's what you're asking. The women and men working there wear lingerie that is considered sexy.

But what is wrong with nudity for a 15 year old? Do you think he/she never saw any, on the internet or in a movie? ;-)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,211 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The red light district in Amsterdam

No nudity that I have ever seen. No nips as well. Suggestive but covered.

But not always suggestive

One of the most popular gals in the history of the modern RLD always wore a tasteful top and blue jeans each and every day.

And she was a legend

Edited: 26 May 2014, 14:06
Windham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The red light district in Amsterdam

Thanks everyone!

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: The red light district in Amsterdam

jtnimlo,

as others have said, its your decision.

the times i have been thru there you will see ladies in all sorts of dress (undress). I ve never seen anyone in their birthday suit, but who knows. Most wear bikinis or lingerie. Americans are prudes when it comes to such things, so its an eye opener for many that live on the edge of town.

chances are your kid knows more than you think.

Windham, Connecticut
Level Contributor
31 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The red light district in Amsterdam

Everyone is so kind for answering my question. I was just worried that they would be completely nude. :)

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The red light district in Amsterdam

For a completely nude experience you need to go to a Dutch spa.

Also a shock to the system for many Americans and other nationals. :-)