We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Town by the sea.

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
34 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Town by the sea.

We want to go and stay by the sea and travel from Amsterdam airport. Up to 40 min travel is fine and needs to be by train. Any suggestions for a quiet but still interesting town? Is The Hague a good option?

Many thanks!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
54,272 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Town by the sea.

Hi there,

Not really, though Hague-by-the-sea also known as Scheveningen is not bad; but simply too large for your profile. Zandvoort seems most logical; take a train to Amsterdam Sloterdijk station and transfer there. Hardly any other Dutch beach towns with train connections...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Town by the sea.

The only interesting towns by the sea I can think of are Bergen (Noord-Holland) and Domburg. But they require more travel time. www.9292.nl/en for planning public transport. (For example to Bergen it's 1:09h)

I guess The Hague has its interesting parts but it's not a city I like very much. (Including Scheveningen - pretty bleak)

I also know Zandvoort, Castricum, Egmond a bit but they are far from interesting in my opinion.

Edited: 02 July 2014, 20:00
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Town by the sea.

P.S. Haarlem is an interesting and pretty town, about 15-30 minutes by bike or bus from the sea, depending on where in Haarlem you are.

Hove, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
34 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Town by the sea.

Thanks for the different options, think Haarlem might be good.

5. Re: Town by the sea.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 July 2015, 06:16