We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do with children?

Which Assen hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Durham
Level Contributor
50 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do with children?

Hello,

We are staying at Hof Van Saksen near Assen in August. We have a car and would like to get out and see some of the area. Can anyone recommend things in the area to do with children please?

Thankyou :)

10 replies to this topic
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do with children?

Depends on how old your children are and what their & your likes and dislikes are. And it's always kind of surprising to me how people book first and *then* investigate whether it's worth visiting...? Anyway...

Lots of green areas that are nice for bike rides, for example Dwingelerveld. Go see 'hunebedden'. Rent a boat in Giethoorn.

A quick google search...

http://ontdek.drenthe.nl/nl/p/engels/

http://www.netherlands-tourism.com/drenthe/

http://bit.ly/1mTPSAA

Info about bike riding: www.nederlandfietsland.nl/en/cycling-daytrips (also scroll down and see the video on the right which explains the simple, *scenic* route signposting system.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,054 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do with children?

Yes good info. Not 100% up to date though: Verkeerspark Assen which is mentioned there, and which goes back as long as my toddler years, is bankrupt. It might reopen with a new owner next year.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do with children?

Oooh nooo, that traffic playground was such fun! And educational. I remember riding my skelter or 'car' there as a kid. :-(

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,054 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Things to do with children?

Yes, as written above: prepared me too for surviving Amsterdam city centre traffic. Not an essential training but still quite helpful ;-)

Tnx,

<Erik>

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Things to do with children?

Boomkroonpad , excellent area for biking / hiking, walk a beautiful path between treetops. http://www.staatsbosbeheer.nl/boomkroonpad

Open air museum Ellert en Brammert, museum brings the past of Drenthe back to life www.ellertenbrammert.nl

Veenpark in Emmen, largest open air museum in the Netherlands, historical village, stores, bakeries, boatride etc www.veenpark.nl

Hunebedcentrum in Borger, all about megaliths, exhibitions and activities for kids www.hunebedcentrum.eu

Zoo in Emmen www.dierenparkemmen.nl

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
1,847 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Things to do with children?

For young kids:

www.sprookjeshof.nl, kabouterland.nl, www.rijkderkabouters.nl

Durham
Level Contributor
50 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Things to do with children?

Thanks for your help. Just to say that I believe that everywhere is worth a visit! As long as the area is safe then there will always be things worth seeing. Obviously I've done some research but the forums often throw up ideas that are missed. I've visited the Netherlands a number of times and know it has a lot to offer me and my family.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Things to do with children?

And perhaps something educational... Westerbork transit camp. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westerbork_transit_camp

Lake Wales, Florida
Level Contributor
3 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Things to do with children?

Please let us know of your experience in Drenthe! I have researched my family tree back to the mid-1500s to the following areas: Zwiggelte, Assen, and mainly the Drenthe area. We are planning a trip to the Netherlands during the summer of 2016 in order to see the area. Many of the town/village names I have located are not active communities. However, we would love to know a bit more about this countryside. We will have four adults ranging from age 23 to an active 60 year old.

Wishing you safe and wonderful travels!

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Things to do with children?

@Alicia, see the earlier replies. I've biked through Drenthe a couple of times and stayed at Landall bungalow park Land van Bartje. Great region. And excellent for bike ride past villages and Westerbork and the 'hunebedden' stones.

Reply to: Things to do with children?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Assen
Recent Conversations
More Assen Topics