We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Re direct trains from Amsterdam Schipol Airport to Groningen

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
11 posts
112 reviews
73 helpful votes
Re direct trains from Amsterdam Schipol Airport to Groningen

Dear all!

Good afternoon!

I would really appreciate some advice on travelling to Groningen Central Station from Amsterdam Schipol -

We are flying later in this week (Thusrday) from the UK to Amsterdam Schipol then plan to get a train from Schipol Airport direct to Groningen Central. We have been told by colleagues who have previously been that there is a direct train from the airport to Groningen Centra.

As per advice /official guidance from Amsterdam Schipol website- we have been checking the route planner on www.ns.nl (official travel planner) to check the train times however it consistently state that we have to take a bus (Bus 109) from Amsterdam Schipol to Hilversum Station then from Hilversum go to Amersfoort via train and then from Amersfoort we can take a direct train for Groningen - ie no direct train services from the airport?? (whole trip takes about 2 hours 40 minutes)

This is all very confusing as all other sources suggest there should be just a direct service from Amsterdam Schipol with no need to travel to other stations? (which from the NS.NL description sounds extremely complicated!)

The ns.nl website didnt mention any engineering works or changes -so we would be really grateful for any advice/clarification anyone might be able to offer! Is there no direct trains from Schipol to Groningen? Perhaps taking the bus would be a better option?

Many thanks for your time,

C xx

6 replies to this topic
NL
Level Contributor
1,154 posts
48 reviews
25 helpful votes
1. Re: Re direct trains from Amsterdam Schipol Airport to Groningen

Checking the NS webiste I see direct trains Schiphol to Groningen 1 x per hour, leaving at 4 minutes past the hour. So I donot see your problem. Apart from that I have never heard of a busservice Schiphol to Groningen.

https:/…

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,505 posts
81 reviews
191 helpful votes
2. Re: Re direct trains from Amsterdam Schipol Airport to Groningen

I don't see that. Direct train is certainly there every 30 mins on thursday

UK
Level Contributor
9,840 posts
27 reviews
25 helpful votes
3. Re: Re direct trains from Amsterdam Schipol Airport to Groningen

Are you perhaps mistyping one of the names?

I had no problems finding direct trains.

Don't know if this link will work for you:

https://www.ns.nl/reisplanner/#/…

Breda, The...
Level Contributor
6,251 posts
8 reviews
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Re direct trains from Amsterdam Schipol Airport to Groningen

I just checked the same travel planner and I see no mention of a bus to Hilversum at all. Are you sure you entered the correct names of the stations (Schiphol Airport and Groningen) and the correct date? The direct train leaves at every hour at :04, starting at 6:04 and with a last train at 23:04

The train that leaves every hour at :34 requires an easy cross platform change at Zwolle.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
46,505 posts
81 reviews
191 helpful votes
5. Re: Re direct trains from Amsterdam Schipol Airport to Groningen

Connexxion bus 109 goes from Bussem to Hilversum. There is no bus from Schiphol to Hilversum

Leicestershire
Level Contributor
11 posts
112 reviews
73 helpful votes
6. Re: Re direct trains from Amsterdam Schipol Airport to Groningen

Hi all!

Thank you all so much for your responses and help! This is most highly appreciated :)

Interestinlgy when I put in the link on my Apple devices I can see the direct trains from Schipol to Grongingen as you all descrbed just fine - but on my laptop it still gives me the incorrect details - have checked the spellings it seems to be in order so its all very odd- (prob time for a new laptop!)

Anywayz - I am just glad there is indeed a direct train - thank you again all for your responses and hope everyone have a lovely rest of the week! Happy belated Easter to all! :)

Best wishes,

C x

Reply to: Re direct trains from Amsterdam Schipol Airport to Groningen
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Groningen