We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
Transport

I have quite a busy itinerary for a 4 day break going to watch the motogp and was wondering what to do about public transport and do I need an ov- chipcard. My itinerary is as follows

Friday

Amsterdam schipol- Groningen train station

Groningen train station- airbnb (2km)

Airbnb-Groningen train station

Groningen train station- Assen

Assen-Groningen

Groningen- Airbnb

Saturday

Airbnb- Groningen train station

Groningen- Assen

Assen- Groningen

Groningen-airbnb

Sunday

Same as Saturday

Monday

Travelling back to schipol

Thankyou

26 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
66,456 posts
232 reviews
340 helpful votes
1. Re: Transport

Hi there,

For the long rides check whether discoverholland has bargains. For the shorter rides, esp if you prebuy the train tickets at ns.nl, no cost advantage at all of ov chipcard solely convenience.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g55616…

<Erik> & [Sandya]

2. Re: Transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 November 2018, 22:27

Groningen, The...
Level Contributor
322 posts
542 reviews
224 helpful votes
3. Re: Transport

For train travel (as mentioned before) an OV chip doesn't save you anything. However, for the bus it can. An OV chip card will cost you 7.50, plus whatever you put on it. A Eurocard you buy on the bus will cost 2.50, while typically bus journeys around Groningen cost me less than 1.40 when I use my OV Chip. I count 8 bus journeys inside Groningen during your trip, so that means an OV chip card would pay for itself and it is very convenient.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Transport

Thankyou for the information. If I were to get an ov- chipcard and put an amount on how would I find out my balance each day and how would I top up please

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
66,456 posts
232 reviews
340 helpful votes
5. Re: Transport

All explained in link under 1...

<Erik>

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Transport

Thankyou Erik, after reading all that it looks even more complicated

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
66,456 posts
232 reviews
340 helpful votes
7. Re: Transport

Yes and to make it even more complicated: Arriva (Groningen bus company) now also sells online e-tickets which would also be 1.40 each instead of the 2.50 for a paper ticket. Another change undermining the OV-chipcard for tourists.

https://www.arriva.nl/consumers.htm

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
66,456 posts
232 reviews
340 helpful votes
8. Re: Transport

BUT catch is that Arriva e-tickets for now require Belgian, German or Dutch bank account. No credit card yet, sorry...

<Erik>

9. Re: Transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 November 2018, 22:29

Groningen, The...
Level Contributor
322 posts
542 reviews
224 helpful votes
10. Re: Transport

Every time you check out of a bus it tells you how much you have left. You can top it up at any station or most supermarkets have a machine. But if you find it a hastle, just buy a ticket on the bus. In your case its financially pretty neutral.

Reply to: Transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Groningen