We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
Transport

I have quite a busy itinerary for a 4 day break going to watch the motogp and was wondering what to do about public transport and do I need an ov- chipcard. My itinerary is as follows

Friday

Amsterdam schipol- Groningen train station

Groningen train station- airbnb (2km)

Airbnb-Groningen train station

Groningen train station- Assen

Assen-Groningen

Groningen- Airbnb

Saturday

Airbnb- Groningen train station

Groningen- Assen

Assen- Groningen

Groningen-airbnb

Sunday

Same as Saturday

Monday

Travelling back to schipol

Thankyou

26 replies to this topic
Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
21. Re: Transport

Thank you. More questions do you only get the e-tickets on- line for the train ? Also when using a bus can you pay the driver cash ? On the bus does the driver let you know when it is your stop

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
63,691 posts
231 reviews
22. Re: Transport

The bus has both a monitor and a taped voice indicating the stops. Train e-tickets are bought online (with cc) and should either be printed or downloaded in NS app. Arriva bus e-tickets are easier to use (just show the e-mail or whatever on smartphone screen) but harder to buy as credit card is not yet supported. Groningen buses are cashless very soon ...

<Erik> & [Sandya]

23. Re: Transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 November 2018, 22:27

24. Re: Transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 08 November 2018, 22:27

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
12 posts
6 reviews
25. Re: Transport

Also can I get a bus from Groningen straight to Assen or should I use the train

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
63,691 posts
231 reviews
26. Re: Transport

Nope, buses here don't replace trains but supplement them.

Thanks for Floris updates, indeed Arriva runs the regional buses west of Groningen but not the local ones. Anyhow advise was to use train all the way to Groningen Noord (and that's Arriva again) ;-)

<Erik>

Reply to: Transport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Groningen