We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best agency for rooms in Maastricht

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best agency for rooms in Maastricht

My daughter will be studying in Maastricht from August 2014. Which agency do you think is the best for studio apartments or rooms in student houses? This isn't for a short let, but for a year.

Richard Trillo

Author: The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager: Expert Africa

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
16,943 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best agency for rooms in Maastricht

I am happy to say that the days when I was looking for a room in a shared house are long over, but even back then it wasn't through agencies that we found rooms, but by word of mouth and via notice boards.

I imagine the paper notice boards have been taken over by digital ones (although it can't hurt to put ads up in supermarkets and in the university); and the word of mouth now also includes Facebook. So tell everyone you know in Maastricht or in the Netherlands that you're looking for a room! And post in Maastricht Facebook pages and perhaps even in www.couchsurfing.org Maastricht forum if they have one.

In the end, you might still end up making the deal with an agency or landlord, but in my experience that was always the end station; *starting* there never led to anything.

www.kamernet.nl is one site with lots of ads, do beware of scams though. Ask for a copy of someone's ID before transfering or handing over any money. I don't know how bad it is in Maastricht but in Amsterdam and Utrecht quite some scams take place, even with fake keys (that make you feel like you made a real deal) and such.

Having said all this, there might be agencies that can provide a room quickly but then it would probably be at double the normal cost and huge 'administration' costs.

Good luck....

UK
Destination Expert
for Malindi, Ukunda, Kenya
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best agency for rooms in Maastricht

Cecile, thanks so much for this. Really useful, especially the kamarnet link. I'll send the link to my daughter (currently on Isla Ometepe in Nicaragua). I've just spoken to her and I think we'll drive down to Maastricht in a couple of weeks and visit some flats and rooms and see what we can find.

Many thanks for your help - and warnings! – much appreciated.

Richard Trillo

Author: The Rough Guide to Kenya

Kenya Programme Manager: Expert Africa

3. Re: Best agency for rooms in Maastricht

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 May 2015, 05:17