We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip to Eindhoven

Which Eindhoven hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
72 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Day Trip to Eindhoven

I've booked a Ryanair day trip to Eindhoven, but am really surprised that the train takes about an hour to Amsterdam.

Is it do-able - a morning in Eindhoven, afternoon in Amsterdam and then back to Eindhoven Airport for the flight home?

I'd love to sample Netherlands Railways - so maybe there's somewhere else that's a train journey away. Or will I find plenty of distractions in Eindhoven?

This was booked purely on a whim - the total cost of the flight wsa £2.50 INC. taxes.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day Trip to Eindhoven

Why are you surprised? It actually takes an hour and 20 minutes each way not including the bus ride from the airport to the train station which take another 20 minutes.

The train is € 29.90 return.

What you wish to do is possible of course. IMO there is not much to see in Eindhoven except a modern city but then you can take a look around for yourself. If it was me I would head more or less direct to Amsterdam. You will have to be back to the airport by around 6pm so you will have to leave Amsterdam by 4.

www.ns.nl for a journey planner, its also in English

London
Level Contributor
72 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day Trip to Eindhoven

I'm surprised because it's so fast!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day Trip to Eindhoven

The train's not fast its just the country that's small :-)

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,910 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Day Trip to Eindhoven

i love the NL so i dont usually knock any cities but i agree with ron, eindhoven is not the most "picturesque" city in holland..it has the requisite cathredral..a nice shopping street where i experienced my first hema hotdog!!..hightale it to amsterdam and enjoy the day there before scooting back to eindhoven..

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,391 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day Trip to Eindhoven

Eindhoven is not a typical tourist town - though it is very old (it got city rights long before Amsterdam), much of the centre got destroyed during the last war (RAF trying to bomb factories but missing...). There are a few museums - the Van Abbe modern art museum, the Designhuis, the DAF car/lorry museum, etc.

www.vvveindhoven.nl/en/

If you take the train from Eindhoven to Amsterdam, one of the first stops is 's-Hertogenbosch (also called Den Bosch) - smaller, but with a nice historic centre. Could be worth making a stop there..? www.vvvdenbosch.nl/Home

London
Level Contributor
72 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day Trip to Eindhoven

Can I break my journey on a Day Return train ticket between Eindhoven and Amsterdam? Sounds interesting.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,910 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day Trip to Eindhoven

yes..you can get on and off the train at your leasure as long as you get back to eindhoven in the same day

London
Level Contributor
72 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day Trip to Eindhoven

Definitely going to Den Bosch - it looks lovely.

London
Level Contributor
72 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day Trip to Eindhoven

Well, I'm back from my day trip.

It rained, there was a bus strike but I had the best day.

I didn't get to Amsterdam - I was totally enchanted by 's-Hertogenbosch (I love the fact that the name starts with an apostrophe!) and also liked Eindhoven - in many ways it reminded me of Belfast (in a good way).

The people everywhere were friendly, I noticed that car drivers always gave way to pedestrians and cyclists and I came back to London with a real sense of well being.

I am going to try and upload the pictures I took.

Next time, a longer stay. :)

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,124 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day Trip to Eindhoven

Glad you had a nice time on your cheap trip. Don't tell anyone about the carbon footprint though LOL

Maybe you can get a direct flight to Amsterdam next time. Easy jet have a sale on until the 10th June

Get answers to your questions about Eindhoven