We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Events linked to liberation ?

Dublin
Level Contributor
490 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Events linked to liberation ?

Hello All,

Just noticed on another post that the date that Eindhoven was liberated was 18 of September. I will be in Eindhoven on Saturday the 15 and Sunday the 16 of September this year and was wondering will there be any events in the city connected to the anniversary ?

Regards,

Supervanman.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,715 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Events linked to liberation ?

I very much doubt it. National liberation day is 5th of May, that it when the whole country notes the event. It would be churlish of one part of the country to celebrate "Yaa boo, we were free eight months before you".

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
276 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Events linked to liberation ?

There will be festivities but only on the 18th of September so you will miss them I guess.

Event page:

www.stichting18september.nl/English/index.php

The website seems pretty old and still shows the 2010 programme, but I guess they'll have something similar in 2012.

Edited: 13 July 2012, 06:26
Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
276 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Events linked to liberation ?

some impressions from the 2011 event on youtube:

www.youtube.com/watch…

Dublin
Level Contributor
490 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Events linked to liberation ?

Many thanks for the replies.

Regards,

Supervanman

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Events linked to liberation ?

The english pages on the 18 September foundation website may be out of date, but the dutch pages show what you can expect on Sept. 18th, of this year: music and a torchlight procession.

Another part of the festivities is the "lichtjesroute" (Eindhoven light route), a series of light displays along a 25 km route through the city. Officially it starts on Sept. 18th and ends Oct. 14, but you may already see some of the light displays if you're in town on Sept. 15/16.

6. Re: Events linked to liberation ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2013, 20:17