We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Speeding ticket question

Which Alkmaar hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle
4 posts
Save Topic
Speeding ticket question

Hello,

I hope someone can help.

A colleague and I drove return journey from Schipol to Den Helder a couple of months ago using a rental car.

He paid for it on his company credit card and jusr received a bill for 17.85 Euro from Hertz(renter) saying the car was caught speeding whilst we were in charge of it in Alkmaar.

They have supplied us with a decision number but we need to know the exact date and time to see who was driving, and what speed we were doing.

Anyone got any advice on this?

By the way, don't know if it makes any difference but it was sent to his neighbours house and had the incorrect number on his address(this will be a clerical error by Hertz).

Thanks

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,297 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Speeding ticket question

Where are you?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,971 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Speeding ticket question

im not sure what you are asking...are you attempting to dispute the ticket?..did you not pass through alkmaar to and from den helder? are you seeking a copy of the ticket?..might be easier to just pay the ticket and move on.

Newcastle
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Speeding ticket question

I'm in England but will return to Den Helder next year on at least one occasion.

We are not sure when the ticket was issued because the bill from Hertz is an administration fee only, the speeding ticket will follow surely?.....therefore we are not sure which one of us was driving.

I went on to CJIB website to find out more but there is nowhere on there that I can input my personel data.

If I was driving then the ticket will be paid, however, if Hertz sends the bill to the incorrect address where does that leave us?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Speeding ticket question

Since Hertz already has your credit card details, the chances are that they have deducted the due amount from the credit card and that their note is just an advice charge that they have deducted the amount plus their fee (which is what I presume the EUR 17.85 is for!

Speeding tickets are often issued weeks after the event; I got one last week fõr speeding at 106 km in a 100 zone (on the A2 where I normally do 120!) about two months ago. Cost me EUR 22.

The fact that the note was sent to the wrong address is neither here or there I suggest, presuming that the driving licence address is correct.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,297 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Speeding ticket question

IMO they have no legal right to enforce the ticket to either you or your friend if you reside in the UK.

Hertz, as Stuart said, have probably or will probably take the admin fee from your CC or whoever rented the car.

If you don't pay the ticket then the person who rented the car will probably be initially held respnsible for the fine. I assume that will be your collegue since the car hire firm sent the notification to him.

I would say that he would then subsequently have problems at a border where a passport has to be shown i.e at Schiphol.

If the fine is not substancial and you genuinely cannot remember who was driving where at what time and at what speed then would the fairest thing not be to just split the cost`

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
7,390 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Speeding ticket question

The CJIB should send the speeding fine to the address suppolid by Hertz,this can take a few weeks, this gives time,place and speed. It is possible that it will get lost somewhere as happened to a friend of mine. Months later he was held at Schiphol until he paid his fine!!! The charge deducted by Hertz is an admin fee only

7. Re: Speeding ticket question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 April 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Alkmaar