We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

must-see itinerary (+ b&b) for art-lovers

Vancouver
Level Contributor
157 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
must-see itinerary (+ b&b) for art-lovers

My 20-year-old art-student daughter and I have just started hatching an impromptu plan to visit Amsterdam (and maybe The Hague? other nearby places?) in June, perhaps staying 5 or 6 nights in total. We've started poking around to see what we should be sure to see and do, but haven't yet come across anything like a rough itinerary that will help us figure out how much time we should budget for the various places we really must see.

I guess our primary focus is the art in the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum; but I think that the Vermeers in The Hague would probably be worth a trip too. And probably you'll tell me about other great not-to-miss art I'll want to work into our plans!

So, art lovers out there who know Amsterdam and the Netherlands, what do we do? and how much time should we budget for it? Any and all suggestions welcome--I'm kind of boggled at the moment!!

And on a slightly different topic: I'm noticing that Jordaan sounds like an interesting and pretty quiet district to try to find lodgings in. I've noted a couple of promising-sounding b&bs there; but maybe there's another quiet area where we'd be comfortable and close to the places we will enjoy visiting? I'd love to have any suggestions on that too. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,051 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: must-see itinerary (+ b&b) for art-lovers

Hi LMB18,

In Amsterdam Museumplein is all within easy reach, Van Gogh, Stedelijk Museum for more comtemporary art and Rijksmuseum. The latter is under construction I recently heard on this forum, and not clear to me was whether you can still visit and watch the' Nightwatch'.

There are loads and loads of galeries in Amsterdam too.

The Hague is very nice to see lots of Mondriaan in het Gemeentemuseum, I like this one in particular, great building too:

www.gemeentemuseum.nl/index.php?id=000020

Also interesting is the 360˙ painting from Scheveningen by Mesdag:

http://www.panorama-mesdag.nl/

Galeries like Pulchri always have very good exhibitions!

www.coloursapplication.com/galeries.aspx

And last but not least Rotterdam has great museums

Boymans van Beuningen

www.boijmans.rotterdam.nl/smartsite.dws…

and the architecture institute:

http://www.nai.nl/

There are special entry card that give discounts, or you buy one card and can enter all the connected museums.

Not sure how this works these days but you should find out the name is 'Museumkaart' and here are the museums where you can use this card:

www.museum.nl/museumnl/handler.cfm…

Hope this helps you! Enjoy yourselves.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
157 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: must-see itinerary (+ b&b) for art-lovers

thank you so much for your advice, VillaRhapsody. I am copying everything you've written to a "take with us" folder!

Right now, I'm trying to decide on whether to splurge and stay on a houseboat, or stay in a b&b. . . what a pleasant difficulty!

To travel to Rotterdam, would that take us quite a while on public transport?

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,051 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: must-see itinerary (+ b&b) for art-lovers

Hi again,

Where is the boathotel's location?

The Jordaan is lovely, small streets so hardly any noise from cars only destination traffic.

Read my post to Gonetothedogs in the '9 little alleys' (9 kleine straatjes) in the Jordaan, this used to be my favorite area to stroll around a bit.

Which speciality in art your daughter is studying? I was a grafic designer graduated in Breda art academy many years ago.

Once again, have a nice time!

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: must-see itinerary (+ b&b) for art-lovers

In Amsterdam there's indeed the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum. The latter is closed but has a wing open with all the highlights. It's not big but still very worthwhile and of course the Nachtwacht is there. An advantage is this compactness is that it shows you all the highlights without having to go find them, but it gets very crowded and I prefer going just after opening at 9 AM. They have an audio-guide, 2 versons, one normal one with a lot of commentary and one by Dutch filmstar Jeroen Krabbee (who played in one James Bond movie and is a very good painter himself), very interesting to do both audio tours in English. It took me 4 hours to do both.

Amsterdam also has the modern Stedelijk Museum almost next to the Van Gogh, so 3 museums within a few meters (plus at the same big square the Concertgebouw as world's best or at least most visited concert hall, www.concertgebouw.nl for inexpensive daily summer concerts).

In my town The Hague there's indeed the www.mauritshuis.nl with 3 Vermeers (the Rijksmuseum shows you 4 ), but the Mauritshuis has Girl with a Pearl Earring (you can take an identical reproduction back home for 300 Euro) and View of Delft (500 Euro for the reproduction).

The building itself is gorgeous, really palatial, next to our Parliament.

Furthermore there is the modern-art Gemeentemuseum, and www.escherinhetpaleis.nl , www.beeldenaanzee.nl and the large panorama painting Panorama Mesdag.

For more Van Gogh you could think of a visit to the largest National Park where the Kröller-Müller is , www.kmm.nl and in Rotterdam the Boymans Van Beuningen (www.boijmans.rotterdam.nl) is not to be missed. Rotterdam is just 20 minutes beyond The Hague by train and The Hague is 45 minutes from Amsterdam.

Haarlem has www.franshalsmuseum.nl and Utrecht the www.catharijneconvent.nl .

This sums up the best museums in the country and a not-miss in my town is also www.madurodam.nl, not a museum but shows in miniature all what makes Holland interesting.

Open air museums are also www.zaanseschans.nl and the Arnhem Openlucht museum and one in Enkhuizen.

A complete list of museums with clickable links is at artcyclopedia.com/museums/art-museums-in-the…

ENJOY !!

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: must-see itinerary (+ b&b) for art-lovers

Time-wise you could do The Hague in one day, one day for Rotterdam (from The Hague if you stay there), the rest for Amsterdam if you don't fancy venturing out to other cities.

b&b's you find at www.bedandbreakfast.nl .

A nice one is www.cakeundermypillow.nl , above a great cake shop.

In my town great is www.residenz.nl (click on UK in top right corner)

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: must-see itinerary (+ b&b) for art-lovers

I have to add about Rotterdam that as a city it is nothing in comparison to others as it was bombed in the war, but on the way from The Hague is Delft (where Vermeer lived and where a Vermeer museum is being opened, but I don't remember now when and where or what website.

but see www.johannesvermeer.info

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: must-see itinerary (+ b&b) for art-lovers

That new Vermeercentrum in Delft is just open, see www.vermeerdelft.nl .

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,051 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: must-see itinerary (+ b&b) for art-lovers

Hi Dutchguy!

As long as I lived in Holland I always sensed a competition between Amsterdam, The Hague and Rotterdam residents. I do not understand really actually like it is a never ending football match.

As I am from the south I loved to visit all these cities for each their own specific reason. Rotterdam is a lovely but modern town, with loads of exotic restaurants, and of course the harbour, modern architecture and great museums like next to ones mentioned also the maritiem museum, world museum and not forget the Kunsthal, fantastic architecture from Rem Koolhaas.

Anyway, Den Haag and Amsterdam are lovely too!

Cheers!

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: must-see itinerary (+ b&b) for art-lovers

Hi VillaRapsody,

I have nothing against Rotterdam, you are right that it has it's attractions deserving of a visit, but I just wanted to warrn people who don't know it that well that the city has a quite different look than the towns unharmed by the war. I am not all that charmed of my own town, except for the attractions mentioned and a few lovely streets and squares and mostly the many parks and dune/beach area.

In fact Rotterdam has something I'd love to experience once, 2 suites on top of the Euromast with (obviously) terrific view at over 150 meters height but it comes at a price (385 Euro a night).

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,051 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: must-see itinerary (+ b&b) for art-lovers

I Hi Dutchguy,

İ think you should and could promote your own town better! Write anice post on what Den Haag has to offer because İ think is quite a lot. İ alwasy used to love Den Haag, For one, it has something not many cities can offer that is a real beach with beautiful dunes, quite unique. Scheveningen for the crowd and Kijkduin more quiet.

İ worked in Den Haag for several years and still have friends there, unfortunately İ have not been for a few years now.

Only forget about the center, but the parliament, Vijverberg, Denneweg, Statenkwartier, Gemeentemuseum, Museon, Postmuseum, Mesdag and Madurodam. İ am sure İ forget things here.

İ think Den Haag is compared to Amsterdam a nice and relaxed more worldly as Amsterdam (all Amsterdamlovers, İ set one thing straight İ love Amsterdam for other reasons) and not so freaked out.

Den Haag is more friendly and the best comedians are from Den Haag, Kooten en de Bie, Wim Schippers, Godfried Bomans (was for many years the best read dutch author) was born here.

And İ should not forget the Den Haag pop scene, like the Rolling Stones still going strong the Golden Earring.

İ should go again this winter, İ would like to see the changes if there have been, and İ should not forget, the best indonesian food is in Den Haag!

Have a nice day!