We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

apartment in red light district

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
sydney nova scotia
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
apartment in red light district

Can any of you local amsterdam advisors tell me about this area? We are a family of 4, with an 18 and 20 year old. We are not prudes and walking by windows with women posing in them doesn't really bother us. However, lots of noise, inibriated men or violence that may come with the trade involving these "ladies of the night" would. There is a lovely, reasonable apartment available though stayamsterdam.com that we are considering renting. Any advice or comments?

Gail

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
870 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: apartment in red light district

Well, red light district might be interesting and special place, but it is also one of the dirtiest area's of the city. Also lots of junkies around, some dark figures, etc. I would recommend to look for other location - for example Spui square and Spui street area, almost entire canal ring, Museumsquare neighbourhood just to name a few. Avoid Central Station area and Rokin street as there are lots of construction going on and will be for the next couple of years.

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: apartment in red light district

hi , is the appartment the Nieuwmarkt-Waag one featured on stayamsterdam ?.... geoff

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
7,671 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: apartment in red light district

If you like the apartment rent it... I wouldn't worry about

the area in the least.

We were in and through the RLD many times this past summer at

all hours of the day and night.

Yes, some might find it unsavoury but I like the Dutch way of having

it all out in the open rather than hiding such things and spending

government and police resources trying to stamp out something

that has always and will always exist anyway.

IMHO the RLD is in actuality one of the safest places in Amsterdam

after dark because it is well policed.

Have a great trip.

Rob

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: apartment in red light district

I would agree with parisamsterdans post , if you like the appartment and its a good deal take it. I walk through the RLD at all times of the day and night without incident .......geoff

sydney nova scotia
Level Contributor
145 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: apartment in red light district

Thank you all for your advice.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
775 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: apartment in red light district

I don't think you have anything to worry about, but I would say that the only bad part about the Red Light District, in my opinion, is the hordes of non-Dutch tourists.

Often far from sober, it seems like they can get a little too rowdy (and they're obviously quite annoying). It's really quite a travesty, and is much worse than the girls and pushers/junkies, all of whom won't bother you if you don't bother them.

I fail to see the point of walking around Amsterdam in a group of 20 guys, clogging the whole sidewalk and chanting repetitively "Amsterdam, Birmingham" at 2am. Why not just stay at home and do it? At least then you can cut the chant in half.

Cardiff
Level Contributor
128 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: apartment in red light district

Lots of noise - I've stayed in the Red Light District several times, and I've never noticed too much noise at all. I find staying in a hotel on a road where the tram's go is more noisy cos you have them "opinging" all the time!

Inibriated men - You obviously do get some people who have drunk too much, but no more than any other major city. More people seem stoned than drunk, so they seem to keep themselves to themselves.

Violence - I've gone to Amsterdam quite a lot of times now, and I've only ever seen 1 bit of violence in the whole city, and that was someone having their camera taken off them because they were taking photo's of the prostitutes. Just remember not to take any photo's of the girls.

Ladies of the night - They don't do much other than stand in their windows. It will be an eye opening experience to walk through there if you havent been before.

Cleanliness - I noticed someone said that the RLD was a dirty area. I think this person is incorrect! Amsterdam is a very tidy city overall, and that includes the RLD. I've watched the cleaners go out in force at about 5 a.m. in their little vans. I can understand that the person may have thought it was dirty if they waled through at about 3 a.m. on a Saturday night, as any major city gets untidy by that time.

Apartment - if you like it, go for it. I've used www.stayamsterdam.com before and stayed in Weteringschans. The overall experience with the company was good and the apartment was very nice.

Hope this has all been of help.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
18 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: apartment in red light district

We stayed at an apartment on Spuistraat. We rented it from Home and Away Apartments.( Niels van denBerg info@homeandaway.nl) It was a great location. It was close enough to the Centre to be within walking distance of just about everything. We did take trams to the Museuems though. He has several apartments in and around the Centre. He was very easy to deal.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,017 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: apartment in red light district

The Red Light District is safe and just as clean as other parts of Amsterdam. All apartments can be noisy if they are on the ground/or first floor where there are tourists. I have never seen violence of any kind in any part of Amsterdam. The canals at night in the RLD are beautiful and fun to walk around. Great eats too. The worse thing I have ever seen is folks over drinking and getting loud which can be in any part of Amsterdam. Amsterdam is fun, safe and the Dutch are friendliest folks to tourist.

10. Re: apartment in red light district

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 21:20