We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What exactly is smart casual?

hangthedj26
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What exactly is smart casual?

I made reservations at the Reflet restaurant at Hotel Krasnapolsky. I read that the dress code was smart casual, but not too sure what that means exactly. Are jeans, mid heeled shoes, and a nice sweater appropriate? And for guys, are khakis, clean sneakers, and a sweater appropriate? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,005 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What exactly is smart casual?

i lived at the kras for 2 months and i never ate there..prefered to go out..but the people i saw walking out of there looked pretty sharp..i would think khakis, sweather, dress shoes, no sneakers would be ok for the men..slacks no jeans on the woman.

Antarctic Peninsula
Level Contributor
1,056 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What exactly is smart casual?

You have to make sure that the color of your socks is not too bright. Also be smart about it and keep it casual and not too bright on your attire.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What exactly is smart casual?

It's difficult to be exact, but in most establishements in Europe, 'smart casual' means you can get away with the following:

Jeans yes, but under the following conditions:

Good designer jeans, usually not 'skinnys' but the style with a bit of flare at the bottom. No holes or bradings unless very stylish. And, with jeans you must wear shoes not trainers. To match the jeans and collared shirt rather than a t shirt. A jacket is not necessary but in stylish places, a casual jacket goes well with collared shirt and jeans, it can be remomved. This is the only way to wear jeans and be 'smart casual'.

If you are wearing trousers/slacks, again you must wear shoes and a collared shirt. Short slevved or long sleved o.k. at all times.

You can not wear the following to 'smart casual':

Sneakers or trainers

Flip flops or sandals

T shirts

Torn or skinny jeans

The onlt time you can wear shorts, is if they are tailored and with good shoes and socks, collared shirt - this applies in hot weather. Most would never wear shorts to 'smart casual. But if in a hot climate, it's accepted.

Stoofer

Hilversum, The...
Level Contributor
479 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What exactly is smart casual?

It's also known as Business casual. It's neat, but casual.

For men: Something with a collar would be nice and it doesn't necessarily have to be a dress shirt. You do not have to wear a tie, it's not part of the whole smart casual dress code.

Sneakers and jeans are not part of the whole smart casual attire. You can wear jeans if you wear a jacket or dress shirt. The khakis combined with a sweater are ok to wear. Since men like to wear t-shirts under their sweaters, you could make it one with a collar.

For women: Denims are also not considered smart casual. A dress or pants not made out of denim would be more appropriate. All shoes will do as long as they're not sneakers.

It's casual attire, so don't go to fancy. They just don't want people walking in with flip flops, jeans and a raggedy shirt.

That's the official description for smart casual. People here don't tend to dress up or make an effort to dress up. I honestly saw a guy wearing a sweater with khakis at a white tie event. It might be that they do dress up a little bit at the hotel. So just go casual.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What exactly is smart casual?

P.S.For the O.P.

Sorry I didn't include, yes, nice sweater is o.k. always but should be over a collared shirt, crew or V neck fine.

Hilversum, The...
Level Contributor
479 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What exactly is smart casual?

What stooferuk said.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
1,385 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What exactly is smart casual?

Take a look at what Amsterdammers are wearing in similar environments and take your cue from them.

Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What exactly is smart casual?

Come on, if their business is SO brisk, that their interpretation of smart casual doesn't match your own... smile and walk away.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: What exactly is smart casual?

Fourb2

I don't think that's the answer, why deny yourself any place you want to go? We aren't talking formal.

I think it's correct to have some standards in restaurants, even modest places. Sitting oppsite a guy in bare foot sandles doesn't appreal to me when I'm eating :-)

Most people have an idea IMO, it's only those who totally disresepect any 'Code' that are advised they don't confirm.

Stoofer (wearing socks)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,340 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What exactly is smart casual?

I agree with most of the posts above,

it just better to blend in with the scene then to stick out ,

Peace Matt