We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hotwire

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,387 posts
Save Topic
hotwire

with all the posts about hotwire i got curious and checked it out..it does seem like a crap shoot not knowing the hotel until you fork over the bucks..but anyway..i punched in the dates and found a 4 star, city centre for $163 a night..which is awesome...BUT one of the amenities listed is a golf course nearby..is there a golf course near city centre?..only one i know about is out in hoofdorp or neiuw vennep...not that i want to play golf im just wondering how close this hotel really is to city centre

"Golf Nearby

Property is located within walking distance or a short drive of at least one golf course; an extra charge typically applies.

"

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
59,366 posts
214 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hotwire

Hi Steve,

There are two closerby than you mention:

a) Amstelborgh near ArenA, now reduced to a 9-hole practice area and a driving range because the other half of the former course was needed for railway.

b) Hoge Dijk Abcoude, 18 holes, _just_ adjoining the SouthEast part of the city (you can see the golfers closeby from the windows of the AMC hospital).

But none really close to Amsterdam city centre, true...

Hope this helps,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam City Tours
Amsterdam City Tours
423 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,387 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: hotwire

i can sort of understand the secrecy but hotwire ought to at least put a pin in the map showing the location..out on the fringes is not city centre

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,387 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: hotwire

and thanks erik...

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hotwire

Steve, its the business model The more uncertainity the more the savings. As soon as they start to show you what hotels, or what cross streets, or more than general location as in "city center", the closer you are to a general discount site.

The reward goes to those willing to take the risk. As it should be.

The cost for a warm fuzzy comfortable decision about your hotel......about an extra $100 a night.

The only thing I would want to know about Hotwire? What are their guidelines as far as what they consider "city center"

Other than that (I have no desire to be 20 mins out beyond the zoo) I would be more than willing to take on some risk for a great savings.

All the 4star hotels that are in the PL system are ones I would enjoy staying at. At the price for PL that is. I can only assume the same for Hotwire.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,387 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: hotwire

The only thing I would want to know about Hotwire? What are their guidelines as far as what they consider "city center"

i agree...a hotel way out by the arena is not what i call city centre

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
14 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hotwire

I just got that Hotwire offer and it's for the Amsterdam Hilton. Some folks think it is way far out, but I don't. It's within walking distance of Volderpark and Museumplein. The hotel itself is wonderful. I stayed there last year when it was $150 on Hotwire.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,387 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: hotwire

stay in the john and yoko room?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
14 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: hotwire

You don't get the John and Yoko suite for a Hotwire price.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,743 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: hotwire

Less than 110 euros for a 5star hotel in AMS.

You have done well.

Its a very nice hotel from my 1 night stay. A lovely area.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Amsterdam Airport...
Schiphol, The Netherlands
10. Re: hotwire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2009, 06:26