We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hidden treasures of Amsterdam

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Watford, UK
Level Contributor
367 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hidden treasures of Amsterdam

I am thinking of going to Amsterdam in September. I am quite keen on exploring and finding offbeat attractions, sites etc as well as the normal tourist landmarks.

Can anybody suggest any bizarre or hidden treasures in Amsterdam, worth visiting.

I am especially keen on intriguing photo opportunities, all kinds of architecture, parks and gardens, characterful districts and interesting shops.

Thank you.

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,862 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hidden treasures of Amsterdam

might be an idea to look on Virtualtourist, there are lots of tips on the "off the beaten track" reviews.

www.virtualtourist.com and go to the Amsterdam Page.

California
Level Contributor
351 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Hidden treasures of Amsterdam

I really like Park Frankendael for offbeat and hidden. It was a 17th century rich mans Summer estate but now it's in the middle of Watergraafsmeer. There's a modern garden as well as the old estate and a hidden wild secret garden that I've rarely even seen Amsterdammers at not to mention tourists. If you use google you'll also find a site that has 8 webcams inside the park.

Take the #9 tram South to Hugo de Vrieslaan and you're there.

www.amsterdamby.com/sightsee/sight3.htm ..is a good list with short descriptions of Amsterdam's parks.

Watford, UK
Level Contributor
367 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Hidden treasures of Amsterdam

Thank you for your advice chaps. Will check out the websites, and hopefully the attractions they suggest when I go there.

Ireland
Level Contributor
922 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hidden treasures of Amsterdam

Ther's the Church in the Attic which is as the name implies is in the attic of I think two houses used during the 17th Century (again I think) when Catholicism was illegal, although to be fair, Amsterdammers were usually fairly tolerant and looked the other way.

The church is interesting and small, it even has a swinging pulpit to allow passage by it. The Church is close to the Red Light district and is fairly central.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
46 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hidden treasures of Amsterdam

My personal favorite is the Beginhof, a former cloister, now a private residence area. There are two chuches within its walls, one is an Engish church that I attended when I was an exchange student in 1958, the other a Dutch church. Right off the busy Kalverstraat but a quiet, gentle spot where you can get your head cleared in a few moments of peace. I stop there every time I am in Amsterdam and always feel good when I venture back into the city hustle.

Amstelveen, The...
Level Contributor
90 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hidden treasures of Amsterdam

My favorite is the bronze breast embedded in the cobblestones in outside the Oude Kerk.

Amsterdam...
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hidden treasures of Amsterdam

I love walking in Entrepotdok. It has a real old time sea feel and is really close to Centraal.

Also try the Amsterdamse Bos on the weekends-outside the city but a huge park with lots of locals.

Have fun.