We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels or Amsterdam

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Brussels or Amsterdam

Hi All,

We are planning to visit Belgium and the Netherlands between Nov.10-17. My girlfriend and I are wondering whether it's worth spending 3 days in Brussels and 4 in Amsterdam or the other way around? We are traveling on a budget but both places seem equally expensive. Do you recommend maybe spending a night somewhere else either before getting to Brussels or in between Brussels and Amsterdam? If so, where would it be?

Also, we've been looking at places to stay in Amsterdam and the only places who get positive reviews are $200 more / night. We are hoping to spend no more than $125 per night on accommodation. Which neighbourhood should we look at? We don't mind taking public transit but we want to go out in the city at night and make sure we can easily come back to our room at night.

sorry for this long post. Hopefully you can share your thoughts with us.

PS: What are the main things to do in November?

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels or Amsterdam

Both cities are pretty small so 2 days are plenty to see everything. Ideally somewhere near Dam square in Amsterdam or near Grand Place in Brussels. But anywhere near the metro/tram is fine.

Try checking different booking websites and compare against hotel sites. I always like www.booking.com cos there are no booking costs and mostly you can cancel the booking.

There's great little cities in Belgium that are worth visiting and easily accessible by train. My two favourites are Bruge (also called Brugge, Bruges,etc) and Ghent (also called Gent).

Enjoy the trip.

Alpha Centauri
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels or Amsterdam

Hello- I agree w/ Geoff here- Brussels is OK, but Brugges and Ghent are wonderful. I am VERY biased here- I have been to A'dam over 30 times and there are still things I have yet to see & do. Many people are using apartments nowadays instead of hotels, the rate per nite can be cheaper and you can save money preparing some of your meals. Let us know if you need more info. Enjoy! --Sandy

Alpha Centauri
Level Contributor
785 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brussels or Amsterdam

PS--See the "Just Back" post. --Sandy

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,005 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Brussels or Amsterdam

forget brussels, 2 days in brugges..rest in the dam

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
482 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brussels or Amsterdam

I'd have a couple of days in Brussels.

Some great bars, restaurants, shopping and general sightseeing, but you'll be disappointed by thre Mannekin Pis!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,790 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brussels or Amsterdam

Brussels has a lot more to offer than the Grand Place and the Manneken Pis but three days is probably enough with a day trip to Gent or Brugge. I saw your exactly the same post on the Brussels forum so I'm guessing you did not do too much research on the hotel pricing as I doubt they would both be the same.

$125 a night is not gonna get you too much in Amsterdam but you could try priceline and bid for a hotel.There are quite a few threads about budget hotels on the forum but just for starters

The Crystal, The Cornerhouse, Hotel Brouwer, Freeland, A-Train.

You can also take a look at hostes with private rooms such as the Winston, Flying Pig & Stay OK. All of these are in good central areas.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brussels or Amsterdam

I tend to agree with the others - Brussels is lovely - don't miss the Grand Place and the Marcolini and Godiva chocolate shops - but you really don't need more than 2 days in Brussels, and possibly even just one night...

If I were you I would spend a night somewhere like Ghent, and then spend as much time as you can in Amsterdam... It truly is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and there is so much more to do than Brussels...

For accomodation in Brussels, you might have a lolok at the Welcome Hotel (http://www.brusselshotel.travel/rates.php). Their rates on some of the cheaper rooms look to be in your budget. My review is here, although we haven't stayed in one of the cheaper rooms, but we found it quirky and charming, and the service and breakfast are hard to beat. It isn't rated number three in Brussels (over much bigger and more expensive hotels) for nothing.

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188644-d235…

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Belgrade
Level Contributor
14,295 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Brussels or Amsterdam

"Both cities are pretty small, 2 days plenty to see everything"

Must be a different Amsterdam to the one I visit:-)

I'd take 5 days first visit to A, many like to take long weekend visits thereafter because it's such a great place to hang out. You don't just 'see' Amsterdam IMHO, you have to experience it, take in the vibe, chill out etc.

I'd do an overnight in Brussels and spend the rest in Amsterdam, maybe a day in Brugge if you can fit it in but 4 days minimum for Amsterdam.

Stoofer

Hilversum, The...
Level Contributor
479 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Brussels or Amsterdam

I find Brussels absolutely boring. (Could be just me). I have visited the place several times, but I can't warm up to the city. (Again could be just me). On the other hand I loved Ghent and Brugge. If you do want to stay in Brussel, try to take a day trip to Ghent.

I would take the 4 days in Amsterdam. Most people look for appartments now to safe some money. Since you are going in November, it might be nice to try to get a room from the 19.28dollar rate the Leading Hotels of the World is offering. You have to be quick though with the preregistering. You can only book rooms with this rate for 80 minutes.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Brussels or Amsterdam

I "second" Steveftw's post....

2 days in Brugges...the rest in Amsterdam! Ghent is also a wonderful city in Belgium....maybe a day there? Brussels is not my favorite city....