We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

amsterdam for one day

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Somerville, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
Save Topic
amsterdam for one day

Hi..I will be stopping in Amsterdam on my way to Tanzania. I was thinking about spending one night there. Is there anything i can do/see in one day? Is the "red light district" near the airport or can i see it easily? would i need to rent a car? I am so confused! lol

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
49,733 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: amsterdam for one day

Hi there,

Almost all info is in

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g188553-c79954/The-Ne…

So please come back with additional questions you have after reading this.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: amsterdam for one day

There's plenty for you to experience in one day/night. Take a canal boat tour...best way to get a nice overview of the old city. Walk around! The museums are world class! So are the coffeeshops!!You can get from one side of the city center to the other in less than 1 hour. Dive in!

The airport (Schipol) is located about 20 minutes outside of the city center (think of LaGuardia in relationship to Manhattan, except a bit closer). DO NOT EVEN CONSIDER RENTING A CAR!!

You can go downstairs in the airport and get onto a train that will take you directly to Centraal Station (yes, there are two "a"'s in Centraal), which (for comparison's sake) is like Grand Central in Manhattan...central, main, train station. Ride takes 20 min or so...costs a few euros.

You can walk from Centraal Station to the Red Light District in under 10 minutes. It's a relatively small neighborhood. Do yourself a favor, get maps of Amsterdam and do your homework to familiarize yourself with where neighborhoods are, where the train station is, etc. You'll be happy you did!

Somerville, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: amsterdam for one day

ok great! Thats good information. Glad i could hop onto the train and not rent a car. I appreciate it, because i am so confused. Do you have any cheap-mid range hotels that you have in mind that will put me in the right spot of the city but yet close to the airport so i wont have a far ride the next morning?

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,862 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: amsterdam for one day

hi , some decent clean and safe 2/3* hotels , all within 3/5 mins walk from Centraal Station....

Belle Vue , Koopermoolen , Single , Prins Hendrik , A-train and if you are not concerned about a chain non smoker Ibis Centraal Station ... geoff

Somerville, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: amsterdam for one day

erikdr and sasha..i am still confused. Is central station the name of the station at the airport or am i taking a train(at the airport)to get to Centraal Station? My brain hurts! lol

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,862 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: amsterdam for one day

well Im sorry Im not ericdr or sasha , but the airport is Schiphol and if you catch a train there it will take you in approximately 20 minutes to Centraal Station in the City of Amsterdam ....... geoff

Somerville, New...
Level Contributor
866 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: amsterdam for one day

thanks geoff.I appreciate your advice so much and i am going to check out those hotels you suggested. It sounds like such a fabulous place,that maybe i will spend two nights there. :)

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,862 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: amsterdam for one day

hi again ,yw , certainly worth at least 2 days if possible .... geoff

9. Re: amsterdam for one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 16:19