We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel or city centre hotel?

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel or city centre hotel?

Hi all

I'm planning on surprising my boyfriend with a trip to Amsterdam for 3 nights for his birthday and noticed the huge price difference between airport and city centre hotels.

For those that have been, do you think it's worth paying the extra to stay in the centre, or is it fairly easy to travel to the centre from the airport?

We're planning on going to the Red Light district, coffee shops, along the canals, the Van Gogh museum and Anne Frank's house, with a bit of partying in between!

Thanks

Louise

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel or city centre hotel?

Ahhh...such an easy question to answer.

You must stay in the city centre. If you stay at the airport, you could be vacationing in virtually any non-descript place in the world near an airport. No atmosphere...nothing that says "we're in Amsterdam"...certainly nothing romantic....

The city centre is where it's at. You'll be swept up in the spirit of the city, its wonderful citizens, the canals, bridges, architecture, history, everthing that's Amsterdam.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,048 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel or city centre hotel?

A taxi to the airport will cost you $45-50 from the centre of town so if you are out late at night and your hotel does not have a 24 hour shuttle from the airport it will probably cost you more in the long run.

There are plenty of low cost options in the city centre, many threads on that already.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
482 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel or city centre hotel?

Definitely stay in the city centre.

It's always nice to be able to go back to the hotel whenever you want to, but if you're staying in the outskirts then that option disappears.

There's plenty of choice of hotels in the city centre, so whatever your budget you should be able to find something to suit you.

glasgow
Level Contributor
261 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel or city centre hotel?

city hotel,,been there 5 times,great location,5 min walk to r.l.d,,perfect place to stay,and is cheap..

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
482 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel or city centre hotel?

Do you mean the City Hotel on Prins Hendrikkade?

It's certainly cheap - but not neccessarily the place to take a loved one for a birthday treat.

I stayed there last year with some friends, and we had a room in the attic - my friend described it as 'Anne Frank's loft!"

You had to climb up a step ladder and through a hatch to get into the room.

If there had been a fire I think we would all have perished!

If you want a good budget hotel I would recommend the Hotel Cornerhouse on Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal.

It's only a couple of minutes from Dam Square, and therefore just as close to the RLD as the City Hotel, and the prices are similar.

6. Re: Hotel or city centre hotel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 08:20