We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam Centrum Hotel Help

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Topic
Amsterdam Centrum Hotel Help

I have been looking through pages and pages of hotels for Amsterdam and have become overwhelmed with the number. What I am seeking is a reasonably priced hotel (under 100E twin) which is within walking distance of the Centraal Station. (I will be hauling luggage on wheels). Any help with this will be greatly appreciated Thank you.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,009 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam Centrum Hotel Help

First of all, and there is nothing wrong with staying near the central station, but you surely do not have to stay there (thus limiting greatly your choices in hotels) because you have luggage.

Its all so easy to grab a tram and get to places that are not within wheeling distance.

For under a 100 euros a night you should be able to find all kinds of hotel choices, depending on the star level you actually want.

I have done priceline for a 4 **** hotel double room, for a week next month. I will be paying about 72 euros based on the exchange rate ($88 US dollars about $98 when you add in taxes and fees). Its the hotel NH Schiller. You can book the hotel directly, as in not bidding thru priceline, for a very very reduced rate of about 99 euros or so. The rack rate is a lot more.

This hotel is 2 or 3 tram stops from central station. Located on a great square. Rembrandtplien. Very easy to get to.

Someone may know of a great deal on hotels within wheeling distance of central station. I do not.

Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
790 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam Centrum Hotel Help

prins hendrik hotel through (bookings .com),i put in a random search for dates friday 13 feb- monday 16 feb, total cost of 340 euro about 40 euro over budget but it includes buffet breakfast,we just stayed there and have no complaints ,it is a small 3 star hotel but it is a 5 minute walk from central station with luggage ,alternatively as the previous post stated whatever hotels you narrow your search down to ,put them on t/a and you will be advised as to which tram to get to your chosen hotel,if you have never been before its a lot easier to get around than you might think,personally for me if i was a non smoker i would stay at the park hotel its near leidesplein ,also on (booking .com ) its a far superior hotel and for 270 euro for the same 3 nights its a steal,its simple to get there even with luggage,keep in touch with this forum the experts will guide you through any difficulties,happy new year.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam Centrum Hotel Help

Thanks for the tips. When I originally posted, I didn't mean the hotel had to be that close to the train station. I and my wife could walk longer than 5 minutes. We could walk 15 minutes with ease. However, most of the cheaper hotels seem to need a tram ride judging by their web sites...so..my next question is "How easy is it to use the trams?" Such as, Is it easy to get on a tram with large roller suitcases? (Something you are not permitted to do in Bermuda for example). How do we buy the tickets for the tram? Is there a ticket machine at the tram stops (as in Athens) or do you buy the tickets on the trams (as in Lisbon)? Can you get a day (or week pass) at the train station and use it on all means of transport?

Thanks again for any information.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,009 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam Centrum Hotel Help

Easy. Very easy. Although I sweated bullets about this before my first trip. The worst thing with big suitcaes, at least for me, is that I might have to wait for the next tram so I can get on virtually first and have lots of room to get situated. Normally this is not needed. The trams run often so its not a big deal either way.

I tend to buy a stripcard. I have gotten them at the airport, train station, little stores, etc. You can also pay the driver for your first trip if you do not have one.

I do not get the all day or longer passes because I come to AMS to walk. So I may only be on a tram once or twice in a 14 day period.

Also depending on where you end up staying there may be better options to get to your hotel. FYI if you end up around the Leidesplien grabbing the express bus (someone can supply the number of the bus) may work out a lot better.

I am of a mind for those coming to AMS for the first time especially from N America(long over night flight and for me without any sleep and very excited and interested in all the sites outside the train or tram) that its time to splurge. I take the connextion limo.

A bit more expensive but drops you off at your hotel or very close. I always worry about being too tired, distracted, etc and having some of my luggage grow legs on the train ride into town or my wallet to find a new home while I am riding the tram.

Also I would mention again that for the money you are willing to spend you should be able to score a really nice 4 or 5 star hotel via Priceline. I can give you some tips on bidding if that is of interest.

London, Ontario
Level Contributor
1,361 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam Centrum Hotel Help

Thanks for the information. Our situation is unique (sort of). We are leaving a group tour at the airport. The rest are returning to Canada, we are remaining in AMS for 4 nights. So we intend to come from the airport by train, (I have sorted that out), and I have yet to get a hotel. We then leave on the following Monday by train for Cologne. That is sorted out too. But your information about tickets etc is very helpful. Being seniors, we do like to walk, but like to hop a bus or tram when our legs give out.

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
730 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam Centrum Hotel Help

For 4 nights I too would suggest using the 15 strippenkaarts instead of the weekly passes that require a special id.

Here is a link to the public transport website.

Note the special discouny for seniors on the 15 strip tickets.

gvb.nl/english/…strip-ticket.aspx

Getting bags on the tram leaving Central Station should be no problem, but as mention before you may have to wait for a second tram on the way to the station.

You can buy the strips at the GVB office in Central Station or at another GVB office right next to the VVV right outside the station or at various souvineer/magazine shops.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,204 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam Centrum Hotel Help

there is an AKO bookstore in the arrival hall at the airport..you can buy the strippenkaarts there if you want..

8. Re: Amsterdam Centrum Hotel Help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 16:19