We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One day in Amsterdam?

Scottsdale, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
One day in Amsterdam?

First, I know this has been posted before, secondly, I know that one day is not enough to truly enjoy any major city, this being said.

I will be doing a bit of exploring in Northern Europe and am looking for great day trips (the places I enjoy most for a day/overnight stay I can always go back to), what are some great tips, itineraries, places to see, etc for one day in Amsterdam?

About me: late twenties coming with girlfriend, both in good shape for hikes, bike rides etc, into al cultural stuff, mild interest in bars/nightclubs, budget is moderate, we dont want to eat at mcdonalds but we're not planning on eating at the best of the best either.

Thanks as always to everyone who replies!

Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Jewish Quarter Anne Frank Walking...
216 Reviews
from US$27.90*
Special Offer
Amsterdam Super Saver: Xtracold...
266 Reviews
from US$32.60*
US$39.10
Amsterdam City Canal Cruise
120 Reviews
from US$17.80*
Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,807 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: One day in Amsterdam?

The one must I always advise first timers is to take one of the one hour canal cruises that are readily available all over town as son as you can. They´ll give you a perspective of the town and some ideas of places to visit.

There is a very wide choice of things to do so I won´t even start listing them. As you only have one day you´ll have to prioritize. Do some reading then come back to us if you have more specific questions.

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g188590-Activiti…

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: One day in Amsterdam?

Brian is right - take the 1 hour canal boat cruise (or you can take an evening canal trip with dinner etc) ; also look at the St. Nicholas boat tour as being a bit more fun than the regular tours.

Not sure when you will be here - walks in the Vondel Park are better in the Spring and Summer, obviously. but at least have lunch in the park at Vertigo; you can also visit the movie museum there.

Walk through the RLD in the early evening for a fun taste of what the city is famous for, and walk through the 9 little streets in the afternoon(www.9straatjes.nl) for a stroll through the city's best boutiques. You will also find some excellent restaurants in this area that will suit your budget.

Even if you don't want to smoke a joint (no tobacco allowed) at least walk into a coffeeshop for a tea or coffee and just smell the aroma; don't be surprised if you benefit from just sniffing!! ;-)

Do not try any space cake; it could ruin your onward flight!!

Vist a museum, such as the Rijksmuseaum or Stedeliojk or Van Gogh; pick one should be enough; if you go to the Anne Frank House, get your tickets online in advance to avoid the inevitable lines!

If you are not into clubbing the night away (not sure where or if you are staying overnight), try and get into the Supper Club (www.supperclub.nl) where you can have an evening's fun entertainment. If that is outside your budget have a cocktail (or two) at Bar 23 on the 23rd floor of the Okura Hotel for a unique view of the city and have a romantic dinner at one of the cute restaurants in the 9 straatjes.

Hope this helps ;-)

Mentioned in this post
Hotel Vondel
Hotel Vondel
1,564 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hotel Van Gogh
Hotel Van Gogh
998 Reviews
Anne Frank House
Anne Frank House
51,458 Reviews
Hotel Okura Amsterdam
Hotel Okura Amsterdam
2,731 Reviews
3. Re: One day in Amsterdam?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 19:21