Hello to all. I am planning my first trip to Amsterdam with my significant other and would like some MUCH NEEDED ADVICE from experienced AMS travelers/residents.
1. Which time periods would be the cheapest to travel 3/25 through 3/30 or 4/16 through 4/22? Would rather travel when rates are cheap and less tourists around.
2. Does anyone have any experience with Iceland Air? I researched priceline.com for airfare but found booking with icelaindair.com directly is significantly cheaper. Some as little as $548 total between JFK and AMS (is this cheap?). I'm also wondering if there are seperate fees aside from what's advertised?
3. Can anyone recommend a cannabis friendly legit apartment rental site? HOSTELS ARE A NO NO. I have a 110 euro a night budget TOTAL (5 days=550 euros for both of us). I would like a centrally located apartment preferrably in either De Dam, Jordaan, or Grachtengordel West but Grachtengordel Oost, De Pijp, Museumkwartier or Vondelpark are ok as long as there's easy acess to the tram.
I don't expect a 5 star experience at such a low rate but would like a clean, safe, studio or 1 BR which would include a bathroom (with sink , toilet, and shower), a kitchen (want to cook sometimes), heat, and located close to tram and supermarket.
I am confused by TA's contradictory posts regarding several sites (amsterdamstay.com, stayamsterdam.com, vrbo.com, citymundo.com, amsterdamapartments.com, simplyamsterdam-apartments.nl) Have heard RAVES about amsterdamescape.com but it's just waaay over my budget.
Those with actual experience rather than hearsay would be great :)
4. Also what questions should I be asking when renting these apartments so that I'm not "jipped" out of my money?
5. What are the TRAM's operating hours?
6. Is using my ATM card really the cheapest way to exchange money from US dollars to euros?
Sorry I'm asking so many questions. Any advice would be GRANDLY appreciated. I have researched the forums for answers to some of these questions but end up more confused than clear.
Thanks a bunch guys!