We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smaller/quaint/"off the beaten track" towns for our trip?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Smaller/quaint/"off the beaten track" towns for our trip?

Hello all, I will be traveling throughout Europe in July of 2009 for about one month with my girlfriend. We will be visiting (in no particular order) Stockholm, Amsterdam, Munich, Brussels/Bruges, Florence, Athens, and the Greek Isles. We may also add in Bergen and/or eliminate one of the afforementioned cities.

All of the cities that we will be visiting are pretty large and "touristy." I am looking to add some diversity to our trip and visit a smaller, quaint destination. A place that most travelers wouldnt think of when booking a trip, but a destination w/charm. I heard that Montenegro is nice; I suppose I am just looking for something different.

My girlfriend and I are not big "partiers" and are interested in history, good food, and/or a quaint place to relax and take in the scenery. We will not be visiting Russia, Spain, Portugal, France, or the UK/Ireland for this trip. We would be willing to fly from one of our current locations. We would be looking to stay about 2 nights. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you!

Sorry to post under Amsterdam, but i could not find a general Europe forum. Maybe someone can help me out.

Chris

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,702 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smaller/quaint/"off the beaten track" towns for our trip?

Chris, no need to apologise but I suggest that you also post under the Stockholm, Munich, Brussels/Bruges, Florence, Athens, and the Greek Isles forums to get answers from the people there. We are best qualified to help you with towns in the Netherlands.

I´ll start by suggesting the town of Enkhuizen - www.vvvenkhuizen.nl/content/cityguide.asp…

Formerly on the Zuider Zee and the operational headquarters of the VOC company it is both a beautiful place to visit and a town steeped in history.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
62 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smaller/quaint/"off the beaten track" towns for our trip?

Thank you! Enkhuizen looks like the type of town that I would be looking to visit. It looks wonderful!

Chris

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Smaller/quaint/"off the beaten track" towns for our trip?

Hi,

Try Leiden. Its about 20-25 minutes on the train from Amsterdam Centraal station, lovely place. We took the train there when we were in the Dam for about three months. Went two or three times, absolutely lovely. So lovely in fact, that my friend moved out there a year later!

Give it a go!

Howell, Michigan
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Smaller/quaint/"off the beaten track" towns for our trip?

Another nice historic town is Delft, which is also easy to get to by train. From Amsterdam you go through The Hague to get to Delft, and that is worth a visit too. Might as well go on and visit Rotterdam while you're there :).

All kidding aside, Delft is awesome. It's small enough to walk around downtown and not get lost, it has great bars and restaurants, and you'll find plenty of history to explore.

Drunen, The...
Level Contributor
290 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smaller/quaint/"off the beaten track" towns for our trip?

If you consider flying between destinations, check www.skyscanner.net , that offers a good overview of low cost airtraffic and its costs.

Howell, Michigan
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Smaller/quaint/"off the beaten track" towns for our trip?

Just today on CNN: cnn.com/2009/…index.html

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smaller/quaint/"off the beaten track" towns for our trip?

If you travel by car from Amsterdam to Brugge call into the small town of Aardenburg- used to be a port where Napoleon anchored - hard to believe.

In fact if you drive from Stocholm into the north of The Netherlands you could visit many small villages of worth and pick up Enkhiuzen on the way further south.

In the area of Drenthe at Borger there is the National Hunenbedden museum for ancient history; close by at Westerborg is the more recent history of a concentration camp and immigration staging camp. .

Echten where the ice age left a huge stone pushed from Stokholm.

Veen Park, the peat village, near Hoogeveen .

Zwolle, Hasselt, Zwartsluis - old streets, churches, ancient walls, lime kilns,

Then across what was originally the Zuider Sea on the new road and dam wall to Enkhuizen.

On the way from north to south you may notice the change in architecture of the village and farm houses.

And eventually the difference in windmill archtecture of the windmills .

South east of Brugge is Mont Medy an old castle and fort sitting high on a hill. Beautifull countryside around that area.

Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
90 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Smaller/quaint/"off the beaten track" towns for our trip?

Have you thought about the Italian lakes? I stayed in Como for 3 or 4 days in 2005 and thoroughly enjoyed it. Beautiful scenery, friendly locals, great food. I highly recommend it.

9. Re: Smaller/quaint/"off the beaten track" towns for our trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 17:18