We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ATM machines

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
90 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
ATM machines

Customer service rep at my bank just told my wife that you can't get euros out of an ATM in Amsterdam with an American bank card except at the airport. This seems ridiculous to me. I bank with Wachovia and the card is on the Plus system so I wouldn't expect any trouble finiding a machine but now I'm wondering..... Does anybody have any first hand experience?

London, United...
Level Contributor
12,623 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ATM machines

Plus and Cirrus are common all over the place. You need a 4 digit numerical PIN. I have no idea why the rep told your wife what he did.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos, Benidorm
Level Contributor
5,380 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ATM machines

Plus is the same as Visa so there will be no problem at all, your card should work in any of the many atms in Amsterdam. Your rep is talking rubbish.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ATM machines

my debit card is plus and cirrus and i used it all over amsterdam and at the airport.

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Torremolinos, Benidorm
Level Contributor
5,380 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ATM machines

Sorry when I say same as Visa, I dont mean the same company. I mean where you see visa signs you can use plus.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ATM machines

Your bank rep is completely wrong. You should print up this thread and show it to him/her. There are ATM's all over the place in Amsterdam and so long as the machine has the logo on it (just like the ones we have in the US) you're good to go. I'm surprised that ANY US bank wouldn't know about such things and have the correct information at hand. Geeze.....gives banks a bad name (oops, don't let me get onto a bank bailout loop here....LOL).

I would make extra certain, however (given your bank's seemingly limited knowledge of the world outside), that you file papers/give notice with your bank and all your credit card companies that you'll be traveling abroad, the dates and countries you plan on visiting. This way, some ding-a-ling won't flag your card activity as "suspicious" and freeze it while you're on vacation!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,593 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ATM machines

Maybe you should print out this thread, wrap it around a long sausage and hit your Bank rep over the head with it repeatedly. :-)

Jacksonville...
Level Contributor
730 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: ATM machines

As others have said, it should be no problem.

I have used ATM cards from several different banks over the last 5 years at at lease 10 different ATMs around the Centrum (never at the airport) with no problems at all.

Just curious, what bank?

8. Re: ATM machines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 22:21