We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coffee Shops for "Grown Ups"

New Jersey
Level Contributor
608 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Coffee Shops for "Grown Ups"

We are a 50 year old couple, staying in the Waterlooplein area and anxious to visit some coffee shops. Any recommendations for coffee shops in the area, where we won't be the only 50 year olds?

Likely To Sell Out
Keukenhof Gardens and Tulip Fields...
1,722 Reviews
from US$74.20*
Zaanse Schans Windmills, Volendam...
2,389 Reviews
from US$74.20*
Skip-the-Line Rijksmuseum Amsterdam...
12 Reviews
from US$22.00*
Special Offer
Zaans Schans Windmills, Tulips...
454 Reviews
from US$124.60*
US$148.50
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
269 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coffee Shops for "Grown Ups"

La Turtula, Paradox, 420 DeKuil. As grown-ups, sort of, we've felt comfortable in the above.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coffee Shops for "Grown Ups"

First, coffeeshops are not ageist - provided that you are over 18!!

Second, one of my favourite coffeeshops is close to the Waterlooplein; it is called the Green House. It is located just past the Sterk Night shop on the left hand side as you walk towards the River Amstel and the Rembrantplein; if you have reached the river, you have gone too far!

The Green House is a perpertual winner of the Cannabis Cup awards, and the guys in there are very helpful!

Hope this helps!! ;-)

Mentioned in this post
The Amstel
The Amstel
1,646 Reviews
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,649 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coffee Shops for "Grown Ups"

Age will not be a factor.

Vibe, friendliness, quality product, price, music if any, food if any, these are things you will weigh.

No one cares how old you youngsters are.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coffee Shops for "Grown Ups"

We are also in our 50's and love Amsterdam. We like La Tertulia (312 Prinsengracht), but also felt comfy at nearly every shop we visited. I think La Tertulia appealed to us because it was full of natural sunlight, had lovely plants and is run by 2 women. It also has a lovely canal side location. Beautiful part of the city! They played nice music (classical and jazz usually) and the vibe was very laid back and the place is kept tidy. They have awesome fresh squeezed orange juice and nice brownies (yes, regular ol' brownies...NOT space cakes!) We also patronized Grey Area, Dutch Flowers, Betty Boop, Paradox, Greenhouse, The Other Side, however some of these are very small/crowded so we got our stuff and smoked elsewhere. There's also a nice shop very close to the Oudekerk in the RLD - called The Old Church. It's nice because it has an upstairs area and is nice for people watching. It's also in the oldest part of the city and the Oudekerk (Old Church) is the oldest one in Amsterdam - built in 1260, and is well worth your visit inside!!

We spend lots of time researching coffeeshops before we travel. Below is an AMAZING site that lists all the shops, has pictures of them, maps, reviews, links to their individual websites, and tons of useful information that may help you develop your own "wish list" of where you want to go and what fits your tastes. We also printed up the map with all the shops on it and took it with us - along with individual pages for each shop we wanted to patronize, which made navigating a lot easier.....

http://www.coffeeshop.freeuk.com

Have a great trip.

Mentioned in this post
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Grey Area
Grey Area
208 Reviews
Side
Side
Manavgat, Turkey
Long Beach...
Level Contributor
820 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coffee Shops for "Grown Ups"

Stix on Utrechtsestraat is a nice place run by a couple about our age. Big windows, comfy park bench-like seating, tea/coffee, and other good stuff like delicious kif.

All those mentioned above I've also enjoyed. Also enjoyed Abraxas for the great decor including big round copper tables on which to roll, Homegrown Fantasy is a favorite but I'm not sure they're still there.

Tweede Kamer, just around the corner from Dutch Flowers on the Singel, is a great place. Very tiny, if you can find it you will have the place to yourself in the afternoon. The first time I went in I ask the budtender for the strongest puff they had. He looked at me with concern, sold my what I'd asked for then handed me a pamphlet on what to do if you smoke too much. He kept an eye on me until he was sure I was going to be okay. Even though I've learned by now to pace myself, his concern was endearing. I love that place.

De Dampkring (the one where Ocean's 12 was filmed) is pretty on the outside but on the inside is too big, crowded, and noisy for my taste.

Walk into any and all that attract your attention. I was 53 for my first trip, I traveled alone) and felt comfortable everywhere. Some had music more to my taste, others had great views from upstairs rooms, each has a difference vibe.

FYI, I found the Grasshopper coffeeshops (there are two) to be a little on the expensive side although the glass enclosed patio of the one on NZ Voorburgwal is very nice in cold weather.

Have fun!

Mentioned in this post
Singel
Singel
828 Reviews
Wilmington, North...
Level Contributor
92 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coffee Shops for "Grown Ups"

I'd also suggest Abraxas. It's near a street called Spui with some nice restaurants and bars. My wife and I are in our late 40's and felt very welcome. Also some good weed at fair prices.

As others have said here, it's not about your age as much as your attitude.

indy
Level Contributor
18 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coffee Shops for "Grown Ups"

I am also in you age bracket. I will be going to the Dam in May. I agree with some of the other posts. One of my favorite places is Rookies. It has friendly staff, good prices and its rather laid back and is not as crowded as some of the other "tourist" shops. Its located close to the Leidesplein.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
608 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coffee Shops for "Grown Ups"

Thank you all for your great suggestions. I may just try them all!

9. Re: Coffee Shops for "Grown Ups"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2009, 02:19