We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Electrical Adapter - Class 1 vs Class 2 Electronics

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
82 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Electrical Adapter - Class 1 vs Class 2 Electronics

I recently purchased a universal electrical adapter plug thinking it was what I needed for my upcoming trip. However, when I got home I read the fine print and it says that the plug should only be used with 'class 2' electronics (hair dryers, electric shavers). It should NOT be used with 'class 1' electronics (laptops, mp3, dvd players, cameras).

I searched online to find a Class 2 compatible electronic adapter, but have come up with very minimal information. I can't find this type of specific adapter.

Does anyone know (or have tried to use) a class 1 electronic adapter on their ipod and camera battery charger before? Or does anyone have any suggestions/links to adapters that are good for Class 2 electronics?

Thank you!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,053 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Electrical Adapter - Class 1 vs Class 2 Electronics

I had to look this up but I think what this is referring to is that class 2 products do not require an earth and class 1 does

…epanorama.net/documents/safety/safety_guide…

However I thinkk you are reading far too much into this. For instance I have bought a couple of i-pods in the USA and used them in Europe by just removng the US plug and plugging a 2 pin cord in.

As long as the device is 230V compatable (it should say on the charger/device somwhere) then you will be OK. In gerneral most laptop/camera/mp3 chargers will have dual voltage capability.

Do not try to plug in anything that does not have this capability as they can overheat/blow up due to the higher voltage. Things like hairdryers/hair straighteners should not be used in Europe if they are not dual voltage and most are not.

Level Contributor
23 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Electrical Adapter - Class 1 vs Class 2 Electronics

I think about the difference as high and low voltage converter needs. Hair dryer is high and camera battery charger is low. I found a dual converter for high and low appliances at this site http://www.walkabouttravelgear.com/elect.htm

I have used it in Europe and in South America for my ipod, computer, Nikon battery charger and travel coffee pot. No problems.

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
356 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Electrical Adapter - Class 1 vs Class 2 Electronics

Not sure what exactly you have purchased but:

Most any laptop will only require a simple plug adapter as they will run on 220v (that will be listed on the transformer).

Most other small electronics will require a small transformer which plugs into the plug adapter.

Most larger electric (notice NOT electronic) devices such as a hair dryer, iron, etc, will require a larger transformer.

The difference being the amount of watts/amps drawn.

In truth, it's not recommened that 120v devices such as hair dryers be brought to Europe at all. If you need such, buy a cheap one for while you're here.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,152 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Electrical Adapter - Class 1 vs Class 2 Electronics

i assume you are coming to amsterdam since you posted here..perhaps the hotel you are staying has a blow dryer in the bathroom?..if not, there are stores called BLOKKER (on kalverstraat) or HEMA (on neiuwendyk), both streets are off dam square, these stores will have cheap blow dryers for you to buy. your laptop/cell phone charger should work just fine with just the plug adapter.

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Electrical Adapter - Class 1 vs Class 2 Electronics

"Class 2" equipment is double insulated without earth (look for a "double square logo"), "class 1" is equipment with an earth.

As already has been said, most modern power adapters for laptops, chargers for camera's and mobile phones etc. are multi-voltage; this means that you can use them with any voltage in the 110-250 Volt range. Look for something like "INPUT 100-240V ~ 50-60Hz" printed on your adapter (meaning that you can use it with any voltage between 100 and 240 volt.

The voltage in the Netherlands is 230 V (50Hz).

So in many cases you wil only need a plug adapter, to make the power adapter fit in the wall socket. These plug adapters are simple and cheap - you should be able to buy them for as little as $1-$2.

Travel irons and hair dryers are never 'multi voltage' but they can have a switch ("110/220V") allowing you to use them with either voltage. Make no mistake with this switch, or either the equipment will work at half power, or you'll have fireworks... If you plan to bring a travel iron or hair dryer and it doesn't have a 110/220V switch, leave it at home and buy a cheap one over here - you should be able to find one for 10-20€. Or ask the hotel staff.

KTfromNC
Level Contributor
356 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Electrical Adapter - Class 1 vs Class 2 Electronics

JanToo,

I cannot agree with a part of what you posted.

While most laptop transformer/battery chargeers are multi-voltage, most camera and cellphone transformer/battery chargers are not.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,152 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Electrical Adapter - Class 1 vs Class 2 Electronics

i had my motorola cell phone in the NL for 6 months..i had no problems charging it up..just needed the plug adapter.

Eindhoven...
Level Contributor
2,478 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Electrical Adapter - Class 1 vs Class 2 Electronics

> While most laptop transformer/battery chargeers

> are multi-voltage, most camera and cellphone

> transformer/battery chargers are not.

I checked all the camera and cellphone chargers I own (about 10 from different brands: Nikon, Canon, LG, Sony-Ericsson) but all of them, even the oldest and cheapest, are multi-voltage. But maybe multi-voltage chargers are a bit less normal in the USA.

I think that we both have no exact statistics of the number of chargers sold, and which percentage of them are multi-voltage. But maybe we can agree that you should ALWAYS check a charger, before plugging it in, to make sure that it will work with the local voltage.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,053 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Electrical Adapter - Class 1 vs Class 2 Electronics

<Most other small electronics will require a small transformer which plugs into the plug adapter.>

Have to agree with Jan here. I know without checking that most phone and battery chargers and indeed most small chargers which require only a few milli amps will accept 110-240v inputs die to a small electronic regulator in the device.

I also checked all of my phone chargers just to make sure and this was the case.

10. Re: Electrical Adapter - Class 1 vs Class 2 Electronics

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 19:20