We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We have 2 hotel choices--1 Musuem Area, 1 Near Joordan

Chicago< Illionois
Level Contributor
59 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
We have 2 hotel choices--1 Musuem Area, 1 Near Joordan

My husband and I will be going to AMS in a week and are looking at either staying at Hotel Fita-which got great reviews on TA and is located near museum area on Jan Luykenstraat 37 or 't hotel(near Anne Frank House.

We are only there for 3 days--and do plan on doing mostly touristy things like Mus. Van Loon, Van Gogh, Reich, etc--so it seems to make sense to stay there.

But it looks like it is pretty far south from city blocked out on my map?

Any thoughts?

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We have 2 hotel choices--1 Musuem Area, 1 Near Joordan

Personally, I would choose to stay in the Jordaan! It's amazingly beautiful!!! You can easily walk to the museums from there. The Jordaan is lovely!!! And it is definitely more "centrally located" in the city center, where all the buildings are historic, quintessential "Amsterdam" experience!

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
39,837 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We have 2 hotel choices--1 Musuem Area, 1 Near Joordan

Fita is a couple of minutes walk from the Rijks, the VG museum and PC Hooftstraat where you can shop til you drop for cartier, Gucci and Chanel if that floats your boat. Plenty of trams (2 & 5) very close by nd the Leidsplein is also only a few minutes away as is the Vondelpark. The area is not really that far south. Walking to AF house would take about 30 mins for instance.

The 't hotel is also in a very nice area (not in the Jordaan it's the Nine Streets) as said, very central and yes probably more "Amsterdam" than the other location. Aslo plenty of public transport within a few minutes walk.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We have 2 hotel choices--1 Musuem Area, 1 Near Joordan

juneravellobride,

I've actually stayed at the 't hotel - review here - tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g188590-d269…

The 't hotel is quite basic - the rooms aren't particularly fancy, the beds are simple (but fairly comfortable), the bathrooms are basic, but clean and well maintained). However, it's a genuine canal house, with incredibly steep stairs, and a lot of original charm. The top room on the canal side is very nice, and has killer views.

Its location on the Leliegracht is hard to beat - it's a beautiful little canal, and there are some nice shops and restaurants and cafes nearby (including a little hole in the wall just along the canal that makes killer takeaway pizzas). You also feel like you are smack bang in the middle of an Amsterdam postcard.

It's a pleasant walk from almost everything - five minutes to Anne Frank, about the same to Dam square, ten minutes stroll to the 9 streets. Add to that the fact that the staff are all wonderfully friendly and helpful, and it's an attractive proposition.

We've stayed four times in three trips, so they must be doing something right.

4. Re: We have 2 hotel choices--1 Musuem Area, 1 Near Joordan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 November 2009, 05:37