We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple in Amsterdam - what will we have time to see???

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
138 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Couple in Amsterdam - what will we have time to see???

We arrive in Amsterdam Airport at 4.10pm on a Thursday and our flight home is 12.15pm on the Saturday so not a great deal of time but was wanting indications of what things we will be able to see and do in that time, for a complete novice couple to Amsterdam.

We are staying at the NH Amsterdam Central hotel so not sure what's immediately nearby.

We would like to take some of the Red light district in and not sure whether to book a tour or do this solo??

Finally any suggestions on the best way to get from airport to hotel in the most time effective way, was thinking of perhaps the airport hotel shuttle service??

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,706 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple in Amsterdam - what will we have time to see???

Everyone seems to have their fav way of getting from the airport to the city. The Connextion schuttle does cost more than the train tram but less than a taxi. It will drop you off right at the door of your lovely hotel.

What is nearby your hotel? One of the best most fun squares in the city. Lots of things to see and do.

The can't miss things though very near by? Vondalpark. Riksmuseum. VanGogh Museum. And a canal boat ride.(a must IMO) Many others I am sure but those would be the big ones for me.

RLD? Never done a tour. I am sure you can learn more about the area by taking a tour. But you sure do not need one to take an enjoyable walk through the RLD.

Safety is not an issue you have to be overly concerned about. Just as always watch your wallet and purse etc.

My best advice? More time next time you come.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,706 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple in Amsterdam - what will we have time to see???

Looked at your times again.

If it were me I'd do the canal cruise (about one hour) right after you checked into the hotel. Then maybe a walk through Vondalpark.(then or the first thing on Saturday...a nice thing to do before heading to the airport)

Grab a bite near the hotel or on your next walk down toward Central Station and the RLD.

Do Dam sq area and the RLD and see Central Station.

You may want to walk back taking in a more residential way say back along the Singel or one of the other lovely canals. You can even check out the very quiet laid back small RLD that is off the Singel. A lovely quiet area. Nothing like the main RLD area.

Even if you are not smokers you may want to stop in and have a cofffee or juice at one of the coffeeshops you will pass.

Do that the first day and night and you can save Friday for any of the museums, Anne FrankHouse, etc.

Thats one plan anyway.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,550 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple in Amsterdam - what will we have time to see???

If you are staying at the NH Amsterdam Centre, Stadhouderskade, 7 and not the one on Spuistraat which is the NH City Centre (I wish they would change the name as its confusing) then you can take the airport but. Either the 370 or the 197 stops just across the street from the NH hotel on the Leidseplein and is only €3.60 for the 370 interliner or just under €3 for the 197 bus if you use a strippenkaart. They both take around 30 minutes but the 370 is slightly quicker.

Is much cheaper than the Connexxion shuttle and will probably be quicker also.

Randy Roy's Reld Light Tours are supposed to be good and there is also a free Sandeman's walking tour which leaves from ooutside Central Station I think around 11am and tours the city.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple in Amsterdam - what will we have time to see???

where exactly is that "small rld" off the singel? ive walked the singel beginning to end on both sides and i dont recall seeing it.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,706 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple in Amsterdam - what will we have time to see???

Steve, you know where the Brouwer Hotel is? Its directly in back of the hotel in a small alley. There are a few windows not in that alley but for the most part that is where you will find them.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,862 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Couple in Amsterdam - what will we have time to see???

oh i see..heck, i took a picture of the brouwer hotel..so i was close!!

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,862 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couple in Amsterdam - what will we have time to see???

hi , for transport I think you will find Nh hotels run their own shuttle bus , you will need to check with the hotel to be sure.

For the RLD as you have limited time a tour is most likely a good idea , the best one is RandyRoys , see the reviews on here and also

www.randyroysredlighttours.com for more details

....geoff

Manchester, UK
Level Contributor
138 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couple in Amsterdam - what will we have time to see???

The shuttle bus the hotel mention is actually the conexxsion bus which I am happy to pay if it is fairly quick.

How far of a walk is it in time wise from our Hotel to RLD or Central Station and as would probably look at doing the Randy Roy tour the first night but noticed they start at 8pm.

What time can you go out and dine till, as I presume we wouldn't have much time for a meal before the tour so would be looking at 10pm perhaps or is this to late??

Is the Heiniken Museum worth doing??

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,639 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Couple in Amsterdam - what will we have time to see???

>>How far of a walk is it in time wise from our Hotel to RLD or Central Station.

You haven't yet clarified which NH hotel you are in. For the purposes of this post I'll assume it is the NH Amsterdam Central in Stadhouderskade near Leidseplein.

This is a 30 min walk from CS. There are plenty of trams, cost under 2 euro, that will do the journey in 10 minutes.

>>What time can you go out and dine till?

Places start to close around 10pm but may are open later. I've gone out for a meal at midnight before.

>>Is the Heiniken Museum worth doing??

IMO no. Others however have made very positive comments about it.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
35,550 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Couple in Amsterdam - what will we have time to see???

<<The shuttle bus the hotel mention is actually the conexxsion bus which I am happy to pay if it is fairly quick.>>>

As I already said the public bus is much cheaper and just as quick if not quicker. With the shuttle bus it may have to do three or four drop offs at other hotels before it gets to yours. It's not a dedicated service to your hotel.