We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amsterdam stay report!

NE Pa.
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Amsterdam stay report!

My wife & I just returned from a 15 day trip to Northern Europe which included a pre-cruise 3 day stay in Amsterdam.

I found all of the advice I received from the "local experts" on this forum to be extremely useful!! THANKS!!!!

We arrived in Amsterdam about 8:30AM on May 18th after an overnight flight from the U.S.---took the train to Central Station---then walked the relatively short distance to our hotel(Brouwer). They allowed us to store our luggage in a secure location until our room was ready---then it was off to begin exploring the city!

WOW---what an interesting, fun, adventurious(dodging bicycles), city to explore! We bought a 24 hour pass on the canalbus which allows you hop on/off their numerous boats which travel three different routes within the city. I feel it was worth the 20 euros PP it cost because it enabled us to see a large portion of the city at our leisure from the water perspective!

As enjoyable as the boats were I think we had even more fun just walking the city for 2 days. We've never seen a more diverse(open mindedness is a plus), easily walkable city in our lives.

On our second night there we took the candlelight/Red Light cruisetour with "Lovers" & also found that to be well worth the 30 or so euros PP since it included all the wine & cheese we could consume during the cruise plus a shot during the walking portion!

On our third day we took the 8 hour "best of holland" bus tour which was also a great experience!

All in all---Looking back we would not have changed a thing with the possible exception of making sure I had a pin number assigned to my credit card before leaving the states. There were a coulple of occassions we were not able to use it without a FOUR digit pin #.

Anyone planning a trip to Amsterdam "I ENVY YOU".

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amsterdam stay report!

hi timbo -

Thanks for the report - glad you enjoyed our beautiful city!

Regards, MMKoppes

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amsterdam stay report!

Yes, I agree; thanks for taking the time and trouble to submit your report - much appreciated; glad that you had a great time here (oh how we suffer!!!) ;-)

Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amsterdam stay report!

hi timbo , excellent report , glad all went well for you . Many thanks for letting us know .....geoff

Little Sutton...
Level Contributor
2,194 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amsterdam stay report!

Great report,my Wife & I just love walking Amsterdams streets,it's is such an 'alive' city.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas
Level Contributor
6,024 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amsterdam stay report!

Thanks for sharing. Very easy to get addicted to Amsterdam. One of the most beautiful, walkable cities in the world. Doesn't hurt either that the Dutch are extremely friendly to visitors.

staten island n.y.
Level Contributor
125 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amsterdam stay report!

Loved the report... What was the name of the best of Holland tour you took?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,102 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Amsterdam stay report!

the 'best of holland' tour

NE Pa.
Level Contributor
51 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Amsterdam stay report!

In hindsight I did think of another thing I would have changed in planning our Amsterdam stay. I would have planned to stay 5 days instead of just 3 since it would have only cost about $300 more. You cannot do justice to Amsterdam in a couple of days. There was not nearly enough time to just sit at one of the numerous outdoor cafes to enjoy a beverage & immerse myself in the surroundings.

Also, we became so intrigued just walking the many diverse areas of the city that we didn't get time to visit any of the world class museums located there. The only time we spent indoors other than sleeping was a visit to the Anne Frankhaus!(An extremely moving experience which I would highly recommend) If you are planning an Anne Frankhaus visit be sure to order your tickets online in advance---doing so allows you to walk right in through a separate door skipping the long line!

The day trip we took was called the "Grand Holland Tour".

I can safely say we will be returning to Amsterdam probably on the front end of one of the many river cruises originating there.

9. Re: Amsterdam stay report!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 December 2009, 07:22