We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bidding on a 4 star in the center

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,898 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Bidding on a 4 star in the center

The first thing I see as I travel around to several different forums and from emails from friends? The NH Carlton is in play. More so than the NH Amsterdam Centre.....at least right now with recent bids.

And for the summer months ahead it looks like the price point is somewhere around $62 or $63 USD for the lowest winning bid.

July 22-26 $65 first bid. Carlton

July 8-10 $63. First try at $61 failed. Carlton

August 11-13 $69 which was a counter offer. Carlton

July 21-27 $63 first bid Carlton

There may be other 4's in play. But if so they are not being posted.

2,989 replies to this topic
Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,898 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
61. Re: Bidding on a 4 star in the center

I am trying to find the details on this one to be 100% sure. But a PM from a friend.

Four star later August

NH Carnasa

We have not seen this one in ages. But its the bidding history that makes me wonder.

A first bid of $79 USD got a winner.

About $14-$16 higher bid than what we would recommend here for what should land a winner.

So I am not sure if the NH Carnasa is in play now or just sitting there waiting for a higher than normal bid.

I'd be opening my bidding for a 4* at about $62 or $63. Maybe lower if I had the time.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,898 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
62. Re: Bidding on a 4 star in the center

thetravelinsider.info/howtobookbuy/priceline…

Actually a pretty good article on PL. At the bottom they have a few more links to the 2nd part of the article.

A nice discussion on when to bid for the lowest rate (2nd part of the article). The author seems to see things as I do. Bid closer to your date of travel. They say at 3 months you start to see some sale prices. At one month you start to see the best prices.

Why 3 months? Thats when the various travel companies return the rooms they will not be using.

Worth a read I think.

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,654 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
63. Re: Bidding on a 4 star in the center

We have a new player on the block although the group is familiar.

NH Caransa Hotel

21 Aug - 23 Aug, 2009. $79 USD/night. Taxes $25 USD total.

First bid for 5* at $85. This was rejected.

London, United...
Level Contributor
724 posts
Save Reply
64. Re: Bidding on a 4 star in the center

Mr JohnMd, do you think the NH Caransa only kicks in with higher bids? $79 is a bit higher than bids that have been winning in recent weeks.

Although the Caransa seems like a good hotel, I'm a bit wary of it as it seems to get quite a lot of noise from The Escape nightclub next door. I'll be looking to book a hotel for my early October trip in the next few weeks and I'm a bit of a light sleeper.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,898 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
65. Re: Bidding on a 4 star in the center

Silver, only time will tell.

We have seen the Movenpick, the Hilton, and now the Carnasa show up this year. But all at fairly untypical higher bids. And then the 1st two were not seen again.

Did you read the reviews of that hotel? I took a quick look when I first saw it come up as a winner. The noise issue did not seem all that bad an issue. The hotel was fairly well reviewed.

I need to look at them again myself.

Lets see what the next 2 or 3 four star winners look like. If its not the Carnasa then I would guess its more a fluke than a trend.

London, United...
Level Contributor
724 posts
Save Reply
66. Re: Bidding on a 4 star in the center

You're right MrJohnMd, The reviews are mostly positive apart from a few gripes about the noise issue. And judging by the user photos for the Caransa, the rooms are decorated to the same, fairly high standard level of the other NH hotels.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,898 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
67. Re: Bidding on a 4 star in the center

And I would add the NH Schiller to that list. It was seen 1x for a 2009 stay (Dec 08 bid though) And I got it.

Funny thing is I posted my win and everyone thought I got a great deal. I started at $80.....then $85....got a winner at $88. For the dead quite middle of Jan off season. The great deals were just about to start.

I have no idea why the Schiller would not be showing up now other than higher pricepoints.

What a great hotel it was. And the noise from the square, at least in the middle of Jan, was nothing at all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
724 posts
Save Reply
68. Re: Bidding on a 4 star in the center

I think the noise issue at the Caransa is mostly caused by the hotel sharing internal walls with the interior of The Escape club, meaning you can hear the thump-thump of dance music into the small hours.

Street noise never really bothers me that much as you can always just shut the windows.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,898 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
69. Re: Bidding on a 4 star in the center

September 15th 2 nights

$65

NH Amsterdam Centre

Have no idea of bidding history but assume this was a first bid.

Not the NH Carnasa for those wondering

Columbia Falls, MT
Level Contributor
58 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
70. Re: Bidding on a 4 star in the center

Anybody here use Hotwire? If so how does it compare to Priceline. Never done Priceline - does it name the hotel in bid play? i do like the fast and pretty good deals Hotwire offers.

Reply to: Bidding on a 4 star in the center
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted