We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from Jordaan to Red Light District?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
226 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Getting from Jordaan to Red Light District?

I am traveling by myself and staying in an apartment on Brouwersgracht in the Jordaan area. I would like to see the Red Light District at night. What is the easiest and safest way for me to get there? I'm not really sure what streets the RLD encompasses so I'm having trouble researching this. Thanks!

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,041 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from Jordaan to Red Light District?

Hi there,

Warmoesstraat is more or less the western end of the main RLD. It's 5-10 mins walk from the east end of Brouwersgracht, of course further the higher your Brouwersgracht street number is. Walking route: go to Haarlemmerstraat/Dijk, follow this eastward, continue when it turns into Nieuwendijk and at Nieuwendijk (which turns to the south) turn left at around 300 meters after the turn/bend. Cross Damrak (at north side of Beurs van Berlage) and the RLD shops are already blinking at you..

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from Jordaan to Red Light District?

Here is a site that includes a Google Earth map and a regular map. The RLD is a relatively small area of Amsterdam....but you'll know when you're there....

red-light-district-amsterdam.com/amsterdam-r…

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,280 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from Jordaan to Red Light District?

Maybe check out Randy Roy's Red Light Tours if you don't want to walk around by yourself. I think they are only 12 euros or so and it will give you some insight into the area. Otherwise don't worry about walking around by yourself it is perfectly safe.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
226 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting from Jordaan to Red Light District?

Thanks everyone! I'm less concerned about walking around in the RLD and more concerned about walking to and from the RLD after dark. But my curiosity is going to get the best of me so I'm going to go in the next few days.

The Hague, The...
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting from Jordaan to Red Light District?

A shop that might get your special attention is www.condomerie.com . They have them for women too.

Also interesting in that area is the museum www.opsolder.nl , a church on an attic of a normal house.

NJ
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting from Jordaan to Red Light District?

The Red Light District is walking distance from Jordaan area just pick up a map. And there are Red Light District tours you can take but my experience was that it was safe area.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
100 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting from Jordaan to Red Light District?

Don't worry about walking from the Jordaan to the Wallen (=RLD), it's perfectly safe, no matter what route you take.

8. Re: Getting from Jordaan to Red Light District?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 January 2010, 05:17