We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DFDS Newcastle - Amsterdam

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
72 posts
1 review
Save Topic
DFDS Newcastle - Amsterdam

I have just booked a mini cruise on the above. Does anyone know if you can take your own food and drink onboard (to eat/drink in your cabin). Their website is abit confusing and says that you cant eat your own food in public areas but says that any food found will be confiscated .... i am trying to do this trip as cheapily as possible and was simply wanting to take some water, snacks and the odd can of coke.

any ideas / experiences ... anyone had their secret supplies taken from them .... urgent responses appreciated as we sail on friday this week

thanks

Durham
14 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: DFDS Newcastle - Amsterdam

I have been on the DFDS ferry to Amsterdam and although they do random searches as people are boarding i would think that a few snacks ie a sandwich pop etc would not get you into trouble, at worst they will take it off you. We took food with us when we went.

Its a good idea to take some actually as the price of food on board is a bit steep but make sure you it eat in your cabin.

Maybe you could answer my post for me when you get back ?

Scotland
Level Contributor
31 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DFDS Newcastle - Amsterdam

I have used DFDS twice and took food on board. Never had my bags searched. Can't see it being a problem.

Hoofddorp, The...
Level Contributor
1,392 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DFDS Newcastle - Amsterdam

Hi

Last time I used this ferry, no one cared about my bags. I had a few sandwiches and fresh water bottles with me. Not heard a problem here yet, as long as the stuff you are taking with you is legally allowed ;-))

Regards

Wiki

Washington, England
Level Contributor
377 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DFDS Newcastle - Amsterdam

Just a warning-if you get the cheapest cabins you will be in the bowels of the ship and could end up with some noisy drunks. We went a couple of years ago on a cheap deal and as soon as we saw what was going on around the cabins(which have small gaps at the top and bottom) we immediately upgraded.

We took our own food and didn't have any problems

England
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DFDS Newcastle - Amsterdam

So... those of you who've been on the 2 night mini-cruise to Amsterdam - would you recommend it? Would you go again? Thanks.

Durham
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: DFDS Newcastle - Amsterdam

Yes i will certainly be going back although i do prefer to stay a night in Amsterdam, if you do the two night cruise you only end up with a few hours in the city itself. I would recommend Ibis Stopera Hotel, very reasonable and central.

If you are going in the next 2/3 months you can expect the seas to be a bit rough so be prepared if you have a sensitive stomach !. They are doing some very good prices at the moment and its a great trip/experience going to Amsterdam

scotland
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DFDS Newcastle - Amsterdam

I have booked a 2 night mini-cruise for my hen do at the end of May but I am worried it may be too sedate. We are a group of 40 and like to party.

Do you think we will enjoy it?

Edited: 08 January 2010, 16:59
Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,798 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DFDS Newcastle - Amsterdam

Nicolj basicaly although they are marketed as a mini cruise lets face it you are on a North Sea ferry not the Queen Mary you only get a few hours to explore Amsterdam. I have done these crossings a few times (three times on the Superfast ferry from Rosyth which eas very nice) but not sure I would have made it a first choice for a hen do unless you were actually spending a night or two in Amsterdam.

Durham
14 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: DFDS Newcastle - Amsterdam

Hi Nicolj

Yes i think you will all really enjoy it.

There is nice food on the ferry and the entertainment is also good, as said previosly you dont get much time in amsterdam, and make sure you dont get lost as all the streets look very similar when you put a canal next to em !

Have fun

Huntingdon, United...
Level Contributor
414 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DFDS Newcastle - Amsterdam

i have been on it as well as P&O from hull, i honestly prefer the DFDS, facilities are better, cabins bigger and another plus is that once you are docked it only take 20 mins to get to amsterdam!!!!! have a lovely time!!!