We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is a good area to stay in OUTSIDE the city center?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
What is a good area to stay in OUTSIDE the city center?

Hi All

Normally when I travel I prefer to stay outside the city center where there are more local restaurants and pubs, etc. I would like to stay in an area that is outside the city center that has good dining and is easily accessible by tram.

Any suggestions of an area? Hotel recommendations would be appreciated as well.

This is our first trip to Amsterdam and we will stay 3, maybe 4 nights so we want to make it as easy as possible.

thanks!!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,078 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is a good area to stay in OUTSIDE the city center?

Some of the locals such as Stui, Ron, Brain may have a good idea or two for you.

As far as me I think you are making a major mistake. First trip and you want to stay far out when you do not have to? Makes no sense to me at all.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,078 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is a good area to stay in OUTSIDE the city center?

While I have no doubt he is a "brain" his name is actually Brian.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,948 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What is a good area to stay in OUTSIDE the city center?

i dont get it either...the suburb towns arent loaded with pubs and arent neccesarily accessible by tram. also, in the suburbs the towns roll up their sidewalks at 5pm, 6pm at the latest..except thursday nights some places stay open later. i would stay in amsterdam, especially since it is your first trip. there are plenty of restaurants and local pubs that arent tourist traps.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,616 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is a good area to stay in OUTSIDE the city center?

When you say outside the city can you define this please. Do you mean outside the canal ring or the A10 ring road or in a completely different town altogether

Amersfoort, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
7,676 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is a good area to stay in OUTSIDE the city center?

LSL,

I hear what you are saying but I really don't think Amsterdam is the city for you in this respect. It has a beautiful and deservedly famous city center but the suburbs are pretty well all bland, modern and soulless.

Having said that, the one area that may suit you is to the South of the centre, called "De Pijp". The only hotel I can think of there is the Beethoven but I don't know how good or bad it is.

you may want to consider another town with easy access. Leiden, Haarlem, Utrecht and Amersfoort are all beautiful and less than 30 mins by train from Amsterdam Central.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is a good area to stay in OUTSIDE the city center?

Thank you, youre right I should have been more specific.

When I say outside the city center I dont necessarily mean SUBURBS, but maybe an area that is less busy/less expensive/less touristy.

It would be like staying in New York on the Upper East Side vs. in Times Square. I am trying to avoid crowded tourist traps, chain restaurants, overpriced breakfasts and the like.

From what Ive read so far, the Vondelpark area may be a nice option.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is a good area to stay in OUTSIDE the city center?

De Pijp looks pretty cool! thanks!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,078 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is a good area to stay in OUTSIDE the city center?

Its a small compact city. You can walk from here to there in 20 mins. While picking the exact area to stay in may appeal its going to be a more expensive option doing it that way. It limits your choices.

Read the treads here on priceline bidding. Read the sticky on the top right about cheap hotels.

You can stay in a really nice centrally located 4 star hotel for a wining bid in the range of $ 65-$67 USD+/- via priceline name your own price bidding.

A 5 star was just reported with a wining bid of $70 a night for Oct.

All hotels you can likely get will be central and nice and much much much cheaper than booking direct.

You would be spending LOTS more for a 2 or 3 star hotel booked direct. As much as 3 times more.

Its a great city. Because of that a lot of us tourists want to go there. Tourists.....just like yourself.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is a good area to stay in OUTSIDE the city center?

Great to know, thank you. Ive been considering bidding but in the past have not had much success so I am hesitant.

Ive found some excellent package deals which only cost slightly more than airfare booked alone. For example fare from JFK is about $700 round trip and Ive found hotel rooms for 100+/- euro per night, when I can book the same package for $750 per person including fares, 4 nights hotel, taxes and fees. I have the option of searching a wide range of hotels in the various neighborhoods.

Yes I acknowledge that I am in fact a tourist and fully intend to take advantage of all of the "touristy" things to do, but when it comes to travel and dining in particular I dont need or want a McDonalds or Starbucks on every corner and traffic/ hustle and bustle outside my window..I have all that here. Maybe Amsterdam is not like that, and if its not, music to my ears.

That said, I may avoid Centrum and stay in Vondelpark or de Pijp.

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
36,616 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is a good area to stay in OUTSIDE the city center?

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum by the way. De Pijp is a great neighbourhood with lots of attractions not withstanding me. Its not touristy, very much a local hood, yet very close to the “city centre” although I would De Pijp was still city centre. There are actually lots of hotels in the area including the 5 star Okura (the Beethoven is in the Oud Zuid strictly speaking), the Savoy (not as grand as it sounds but they do have a free mini bar) and the Hotel V Frederiksplein plus many others.

The Vondel Park is definitely quieter than De Pijp although many restaurants along the Overtoom and to the south side of the park between Willemsparkweg and De Lairessestraat.

If I were to analogise to NYC the Vondel Park is more upper west side and De Pijp the East & Greenwich Village. As has been said Amsterdam is not that big so no matter where you stay you should be OK. Sounds like you can get a good deal with the package. By the way Amsterdam is Starbucks free apart from the two at the airport and one planned for Central Station. Also there is not a McD’s on every corner and about the only chain restaurant I can think of is Gaucho’s steakhouses and they are actually quite good. You will be safe. God help us if Starbucks get a stranglehold!

Regards, Ron