We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florida to Amsterdam - Flight Advice?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
south florida
Level Contributor
198 posts
102 reviews
Save Topic
Florida to Amsterdam - Flight Advice?

Hey all,

In the very early stages of planning a trip for 2010. Could be march, to take advantage of good prices, or May, for our wedding anniversary. Anyway... as far as I can see, there are no direct flights from Fla (with the exception of Martinair, which is not so appealing to me) so I'm wondering if anyone has any insight on which route is best. Seems like there are direct flights from all up the East Coast (Philly, JFK, Atlanta, etc.) I've only been to Europe a few times, so not much experience with making the best flight choices. We'll probably be going basic economy, unless we can upgrade at the last minute.

Any thoughts/advice? thanks!

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
49 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Florida to Amsterdam - Flight Advice?

Hi tortugas,

We've flown twice from Phoenix stopping thru Philly. Both outbound and inbound (including dealing with customs) has been perfect. We went another time thru Chicago and it was an absolute nightmare so now if we have our choice we always do Philly. Never had a delay or issue with customs there either as long as we had minimum 1 1/2 hour layover

Good luck and have a great time!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
269 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Florida to Amsterdam - Flight Advice?

We've flown through Memphis many times on NWA/Delta. Small easy to mange airport. Fares should be cheaper in March then May, but it will be colder, Although any time of year in Ams is great! I'm watching fares for our trip late April. The cheapest I've found is on www.airfare.com at $875. I'm going to wait another month or 2, but will keep watching daily in case a real good deal pops up.

south florida
Level Contributor
198 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Florida to Amsterdam - Flight Advice?

Thanks for the tips... I'm going to start watching as well... perhaps something will pop after Christmas. I know it will be cold-ish in March, and my heart wants to go in May, BUT... I looooooove off season travel, even when the weather sucks. We just got back from Dublin, and every drop of rain (and there wasn't much) was worth the fact that we never dealt with crowds. Anyway, thanks again for the insight!

south florida
Level Contributor
198 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Florida to Amsterdam - Flight Advice?

Thanks for the tips... I'm going to start watching as well... perhaps something will pop after Christmas. I know it will be cold-ish in March, and my heart wants to go in May, BUT... I looooooove off season travel, even when the weather sucks. We just got back from Dublin, and every drop of rain (and there wasn't much) was worth the fact that we never dealt with crowds. Anyway, thanks again for the insight!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,215 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Florida to Amsterdam - Flight Advice?

I thought Martinair was a pretty good airline? And I remember seeing a post recently somewhere where the poster was over the top happy because those flights were resumed.

Non stop are always better IMO. And all prices being equal a NS ends up being cheaper------- (less airport taxes)

I do not care how good the airport is I do not want to go through that airport if I can avoid it.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
52,038 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Florida to Amsterdam - Flight Advice?

Hmmmm...

a) Opinions vary. Martinair is on our almost-blacklist because of shabby in-flight service, crammed chairs (except for the premium 'comfort' class), extreme delays at times etc. etc.

b) Generally, for a same distance, NS is MORE expensive than with transfer at least for everything booked from Europe. Yes there are extra airport taxes but the airline wants to be more competitive than a NS. Even weirder: often a flight (KLM in this case but all airlines do it) from e.g. Brussels-Amsterdam-NYC is clearly cheaper than Amsterdam-NYC.

So keep on searching...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,276 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Florida to Amsterdam - Flight Advice?

IMO you should try to make it here in May. Like you say the weather will be much nicer, you can sit outside on a terrace and have a much better experience. No Guarantees of course but thats what I would do.

I see Continental from Miami through Newark have flights for $950 in May

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Munich, Amsterdam, The Ardennes
Level Contributor
7,356 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Florida to Amsterdam - Flight Advice?

There should be plenty of direct flights, for example by KLM from Amsterdam to Miami.....

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,276 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Florida to Amsterdam - Flight Advice?

Ger no direct flights on KLM. Only direct flights are Martinair as already stated and that's a little seasonal.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,215 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Florida to Amsterdam - Flight Advice?

"Opinions vary. Martinair is on our almost-blacklist "

Have never set foot on one of their planes so I have no first hand info at all. But when you go to Flyertalk and read the airline specific forums all airlines are on someones almost-blacklist.

Seems to me that all airlines have gotten more cramped. All airports have gotten more hetic and less fun.

Some rave about KLM. Others would rather put a gun to head rather than fly them.

A NS saves hours off the time of the trip. As much as 5 or 6 for me one way at times. All airlines have crappy service. All airlines have delays. All flying sux.....unless you are sitting up front.

If price is at all close I'd still suggest a NS above all else. No matter what the airline. But thats me.