We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Was I seeing things?

Washington, England
Level Contributor
427 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Was I seeing things?

Was in Amsterdam last week due to lengthy layover at airport and whilst walking the streets noticed that people were smoking in very small bars. They definitely weren't coffee shops!

Likely To Sell Out
Keukenhof Gardens and Tulip Fields...
1,733 Reviews
from US$73.50*
Zaanse Schans Windmills, Volendam...
2,389 Reviews
from US$73.50*
Skip-the-Line Rijksmuseum Amsterdam...
13 Reviews
from US$21.80*
Special Offer
Zaans Schans Windmills, Tulips...
457 Reviews
from US$123.30*
US$147.00
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,765 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Was I seeing things?

Yes, but probably that's over now. Today a High Court judge bench decided that the 'owner-only bar' exception to the new laws was not a valid exception and that authorities could start checking these bars too. But the process continues at a lower bench again, and new government coming after June elections, so 'It aint over until the fat lady sings' as they say ;-)

Regardz,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

New York
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Was I seeing things?

Erikdr, what do you feel will come from the new elections. Keep the same trend of more and more restrictions, or a change back to the way it was.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
5,793 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Was I seeing things?

No, you weren't seeing things!

There is a growing trend now for bars, especially in the neighbourhoods, to see smoking; same in the clubs!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,331 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Was I seeing things?

what is an "owner only"bar versus any other bar...

Drunen, The...
Level Contributor
292 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Was I seeing things?

If a bar owner runs the bar or if the owner has a staff.

Stuttgart, Germany
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
8,072 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Was I seeing things?

There are also local elections next week for the conrol of the council, so hopefully we will get some more liberal people in power. I just have to work out where to put my X

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Was I seeing things?

Some of the bars I frequent in Amsterdam went non-smoking for awhile and are now smoking filled again. I remember finding the Papeneiland in the Jordaan having a breatheable atmosphere until I returned recently to find the bar staff dropping fag ash on the food left out for sale on the counter. All part of the charm, I suppose, after all it's a lovely old locals pub and I can always spray my clothes with Febreeze later on so I don't stink like an ash tray.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,331 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Was I seeing things?

non smokers drive me crazy...its all about choice if you dont like the smoke find a place that doesnt allow it...same with the owner, if he wants to allow smoking and it fills the bar up with customers..he should be able to do it....dont need the nanny state controlling every aspect of your life..and i highly doubt they were dropping ashes in the food..i think thats what ron calls a "rant"..and dont tell me its about protecting the servers..again its about choice..they can choose to work there or not...i hope the appeals process ties this up for years..

Edited: 23 February 2010, 23:18
warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Was I seeing things?

"i highly doubt they were dropping ashes in the food"

Didn't realise you were standing next to me in the bar when I ordered my beer.

And you are entitiled to your 'rant' which you have, of course, just done.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,699 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Was I seeing things?

The fact that there is an ebb and flow, at least in the early days of these laws, is not a big surprise. Bars that may not have smoking one trip may have it the next and be back to non-smoking the one after that.

And while Steve may not like these laws they are in fact the trend in all developed countries. And will continue to be the trend for as long as we on this forum are alive.

Not a rant nor a hope nor a non-hope just the way its going to be.