We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel prices rising due to Vulcano delays

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
333 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel prices rising due to Vulcano delays

Hi,

Just wondering about your opinion, thursday and friday hotels around Schiphol and in Amsterdam almost doubled their prices at the moment they heart about the delays at Schiphol.

For example Van der Valk Schiphol asked € 149 in the morning and € 250 in the afternoon for the same rooms.

I know that hotels ask mor for rooms when they are almost fully booked, but in this case I personally think that they tried to make profit out of other people's misere.

I' am wondering wether most of you thinks it's fair, just operating by the ask and demand process or that you agree with me that double your prices isn't very hospitable?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,212 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel prices rising due to Vulcano delays

its one thing to let supply and demand dictate prices..thats capitalism and thats good...but its another thing to gouge consumers by taking advantage of a situation such as this..thats called price gouging and in some states in the USA that is illegal and the place of business can be prosecuted...im sure there is probably some kind of law over there as well..

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
333 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel prices rising due to Vulcano delays

I hope so Stefe, the CEO of the touriscompany says that the prices aren't doubled due to the delays, I do hope that someone will check the pricelevel as I find it unacceptable....

Dahlonega, Georgia
Level Contributor
192 posts
585 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel prices rising due to Vulcano delays

When there are hurricanes or tornados here by law you can not raise your prices of hotels...gas etc. we have price gouging laws that keep a check and balance on crisis times.....

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
16,005 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel prices rising due to Vulcano delays

"If" they are upping their prices as stated its because there are lots of people waiting in line to buy their product. Or they at least think they are in line to buy.

If this is true I am guessing they may be charging their rack rate.

It sux for the people who are stranded. But its capitalism at work.

Come the revolution we will put a stop to this.

In the mean time? Get out that plastic and pay. Or take a chance on PL.

I really doubt they are breaking any laws.

Edited: 16 April 2010, 20:10
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel prices rising due to Vulcano delays

IMO take the chance on priceline, i got my hotel 20 dollars cheaper then last year, 229.45 total for 3 nights NL ams centre

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
333 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel prices rising due to Vulcano delays

Yes, center may still be the same, but especially the area in South and around Schiphol is much more expensive, my collegue stayed in the Hilton for 280 on wednesday and extended on thursday and was charged 380 euros. It's not double but still 100 euros.

I had a reservation at Schiphol for Sunday and due to me being stuck in Warsaw the hotel refunded the prepraid-rate so they are not all using the delays as a benefit!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
14,212 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel prices rising due to Vulcano delays

a story relating to this post..

foxnews.com/world/…

Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
333 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel prices rising due to Vulcano delays

Thx for the Link Steve!

I' am stuck in Warsaw now, overhere the hotel gives a discount and free breakfast, so there are good ones out there!

9. Re: Hotel prices rising due to Vulcano delays

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2010, 06:18