We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alternative to I amsterdam card?

Westport, CT
Level Contributor
127 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
Alternative to I amsterdam card?

I am planning a trip to Amsterdam for 4 days at the end of June. We would definitely want to see the Van Gogh and Rijksmuseum, and take a canal cruise. We will go to Anne Frankhauis, too. My question is whether it makes sense to get the iamsterdam card. I know it doesn't cover admission to the Anne Frank. What appeals to me is the prepaid transportation, to be perfectly honest. However what doesn't appeal to me is that it apparently doesn't enable us to skip any long lines. I would put more of a premium on saving time than saving money, but of course it would be nice to save both! Just wondering how I can simplify our transportation (is there some other form of pass), and skip the lines at these three key museums? Many thanks.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
55,493 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alternative to I amsterdam card?

Hi there,

The GVB 24/48/72 hour card is cheaper and covers all transport. See the public transport 'top question'. Queue-skipping tickets are available through Internet for at least AFH and VanGogh, so maybe that would suffice?

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
870 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alternative to I amsterdam card?

Only alternative of IAmsterdam pass i know of is Holland Pass - costs 38 euro, covers entrances of Rijksmuseum, Van Gogh Museum, canal cruise, and some minor attractions - and - with this one you DO skip the lines! It does have a bit weird system on how to use the 5 tickets it includes, so read the info carefully. In general, you wont save that much with it, but can be good thing if you want avoid the lines. It is also not based on number of days, so no time limitation on when to use it. As for public transport, it does cover 1 day pass, but you may not want to use a ticket of the pass for it as it is less value.

Westport, CT
Level Contributor
127 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alternative to I amsterdam card?

Thanks for your replies. When I did the math and realized that our daughter is free at these museums anyway, it definitely makes more sense for us to buy the tickets on the museum websites (which appears to grant us immediate access), and then buy the GVB cards for transit.

4. Re: Alternative to I amsterdam card?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 December 2010, 05:18